Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Tombsotne Photos
Does anyone have photos of Sextus Valerius Severus with his manica and the approximate date of this tombstone.

Mike Bishop mentions Sextus as one of the prime examples of legionaries that wore a manica in the first century AD suggesting that it is not only in the second century as thought by many as protection against the Dacian Falx.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Paulo,

our Caballo has written a very nice article on the history and use of the manica. It can be read here..
http://www.romanarmy.net/manica.htm
Thanks frater Peroni!

And from the article:-
"Further evidence- this time placing the metal manica firmly in the Roman army, comes from the the tombstones of Sextus Valerus Severus and Gaius Annius Salutus, both from Mainz and legionaries of Legio XXII Primigenia, who were based in Mainz between AD 43-70. Their tombstones show manicae as part of the decorative border of weaponry surrounding the text of the tombstone. Severus' manica shows eleven plates and a hand shaped section of four plates (though it would be unwise to rely on this sculptural reference as opposed to the archaeological finds). However, this clearly places the manica as being used- although rarely- by Roman legions on the Rhine around AD 43-70. "

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Thanks for the reply.

That is the information I was looking for. It is truly excellent. I am going to have a plumata made by Erik Schmid and saw the metopes showing that scale could be worn with a manica.

However, my impression is going to be a mid first century AD centurion and the information you provided is the evidence I needed to satisfy that a centurion could have worn a manica with scale armor in the fmid first century ADsince:

A) Mid first century legionary is wearing one
B) It has been depcited with scale, mail and segmentata.

Albeit, the scale representation is second century. However, since mail, scale (plumata or squamata) and segmentata all existed in the mid first century AD and so did the manica simultaneously exist, then there is no reason why they could not have been worn together.

Mail, scale, and segmentata were also in existance in the second century as were the manica and have been depicted together.

You can see the argument can logically tie itself together.

Do you have photos of Sextus Valerius Severus. I did not see it in Caballo's article.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Here you go- from Mike Bishop's very wonderful book Lorica Segmentata Vol 1. , the manica of Sextus Valerius Severus (Mike - please let me know if it is ok to post this?) Interestingly, it looks as if it might have a shaped hand guard- unique AFAIK.

[Image: ManicaMainz.gif]

An Eric Schmid plumata....wow!!!! Look forward to pics when complete.

Regards

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Caballo,

Thanks for the picture. Now the story is complete.

Yes, I can't wait until the plumata is complete. It will be a long while however (AFAIK Erik said a few years).

Paolo

Paolo
Andrew Walpole, (the guy that makes our manicae) did some experimentation with his own manica by adding an extra portion to protect the thumb as seen on the tombstone of Severus..

here's what Andrew said..
Quote:The thumb guard will work but there must be some kind of glove worn underneath to keep everything in place. It's a very similar construction to Medieval gautlets, albeit a lot simpler, it shouldn't restrict hand movement.

[Image: manicaseverus.jpg]