Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another one for you guys: Indibil the Iberian
Does anyone have any idea how Indibil would have looked? What kind of arms, armour, and weaponry would he have utilized? Does anyone have a description or better yet, images? Thanks a bunch!

Oh, in the interest of full disclosure I am the art director over at Wildfire Games, an independent game developer. I am working now on the Iberian heroes for our game. Caros and Variato are done. I just need to texture Indibil now. Thanks. Smile
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Hi Mythos!

Indibil as a noble warrior who fought first against carthaginians and later against romans could have utilized a different kind of weaponry and armoury.
To protect himself, he could have utilized a Lorica Hamata, maybe changed or stolen from some roman officer. He could have utilized a bronze montefortino helmet or some other type of bronze helmets utilized by romans (Apullo-Corinthian, Chalcidian,...) or even an iron helmet of gaulish tradition, more common in the iberian territories to the north of the Ebro river, like this from Can Miralles, Barcelona:

[Image: S5007746.jpg]

His weaponry could have been composed by a Soliferreum (a complete iron throwable weapon, functionally as a pilum), a lance, a La Tène I or II sword, or maybe a Falcata (its a rare weapon to the north of the Ebro river).

Anyway, our Theresites (F. Quesada) could give you more information than me, and perhaps some illustration of the iberian leader.

Hope have helped to you

Salve
José Miguel Gallego
www.artifexcrpa.com

DELENDA EST ROMA
That helped a little bit, thanks! Hopefully someone will have a reconstruction image.

And another question: Would Indibil been more of a cavalryman or infantryman?
Here you are. The Death of Indibil as described by Livy, 29, 2 and helped by his devoti. They wear a mixture of roman (hamata), gallic (iron helmet) and Iberian equipment (falcata, scutum, other helmets...)

(Image under Copyright Fernando Quesada & Carlos Fernández)
A most excellent image! You have been most helpful! Laudes!
Thank you.
As for your other question I hadn't noticed before, please note there was not a 'cavalry arm' proper in Iberia except in the battlefield. But a chieftain would be both a cavalryman -riding into battle-, and a infantryman -most fighting in his entourage would be done on foot.
First, an image of the reconstruction of the possible Indibil's panoply.
The second one, the same Fernando's scene, in photo.

[Image: S5008443copiar.jpg]

[Image: CopiadeS5008447logo.jpg]
José Miguel Gallego
www.artifexcrpa.com

DELENDA EST ROMA
Nice! Big Grin