Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shield boss of Junius Dubitatus
Here you have the drawing from Conolly with nice details :

[Image: umbotyne1xr6jn6.jpg]
Are there any such shield bosses from the mid first century.

My impression is centered around the mid forst century. I have other shield bosses but not for rectangular shields. The bosses are circular.

Would a circular boss as the one below be used on a rectangular shield or only on clipeus or flat shields.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Does anyone have photos of any other decorated or elaborate shield bosses that would go onto a rectangular shield prefably from mid first centrury AD.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
No, but I would be interested to see some as well. Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The one recreated by deepeeka. The original i think have belong to the Guttman Collection. The crono is III century.
Paulo wrote...
Quote:Would a circular boss as the one below be used on a rectangular shield or only on clipeus or flat shields.

Yes, there is evidence that round shield bosses were used on some legionary shields.

Caius Castricius Victor of Legio II Adiutrix (although the stone is dated to the early second century) shows just such a shield. It is hard to see whether the shield was actually meant to be curved or flat though!
:wink:
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/

there is also this shield boss from an auxiliary cohort of the late first century depicting the personification of Africa wearing an elephant skin headdress. Inscribed: COH I GAE FRVNTONI CVMVNI, "First Cohort of Gaetulorum." This cohort was raised in Africa and was based in Syria from 88 to 91 AD

[Image: CNH171thr.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shield boss dating / typology Caballo 17 5,341 01-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Last Post: tiberius aemilius naso
  Shield boss from Carlisle mcbishop 4 1,908 03-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Greave and shield boss designs Caballo 2 1,400 03-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Last Post: Peroni