Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The men in the brass mask
Jurjen, Jona, Marco (non RAT) and I went to Bonn yesterday. We saw the Egyptian exhibition on which Jona reported elsewhere on RAT, 'Behind the silver mask' and 'War and Peace. Celts, Romans and Germans' at the Landesmuseum in Bonn (about which a little more in my very new blog). There was also a brass mask for interactivity. Here are the external results with receding hairlines in order of age.
:wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I was impressed with how much you could see from behind that mask. Now I definitivelly want a Kops plateau cavalry helmet. But at least I had a nice day, and visit another beautifull museum.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thought that mop of unruely hair looked familiar Jurjen :wink: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I was impressed with how much you could see from behind that mast. Now I definitivelly want a Kops plateau cavalry helmet. But at least I had a nice day, and visit another beautifull museum.
Caballo's been saying that for ages, but would anyone listen? :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
jvrjenivs:2e4nza8t Wrote:I was impressed with how much you could see from behind that mast. Now I definitivelly want a Kops plateau cavalry helmet. But at least I had a nice day, and visit another beautifull museum.
Caballo's been saying that for ages, but would anyone listen? :wink:

Whats Caballo been saying? good visibility behind masks...I totally agree!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks, mate!!

With a facemask flush to the face (and I suspect that many were tailor made- cf the different styles of the Ribchester face mask and skull piece), you only lose peripheral vision, and certainly the loss of vision is no worse (and often a bit better) than a mediaval helm.

That said, I haven't tried it on top of a horse.

However, reports from cavalry actions seem to indicate that you don't see very much apart from your immediate flanking troops and those in front. For example, Robin Lane Fox (an ancient historian and accomplished rider, who gave advice to the Alexander the Great film on condition that he could ride with Alexander's cavalry " But what the footage shows is only the beginning of an orgy of charging which later took me to Thailand and pitted me with bare legs against Stone’s elephants. In a dust cloud, horses are as stressed as men; it is also impossible for men ten paces behind a leader to see him when he signals a turn to left or right. The key people are the men immediately in front and on either side. Just like the little band of soldiers in Stone’s own masterpiece, Platoon, set in Vietnam. "

Most cavalry reenactors are individual horsemen, rather than riding in a body- which could make a big difference?

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
If I finally get me a face masket helmet I gonna try it on horseback for sure. (that reminds me I've to finish my lessons on riding horses)
ALA I BATAVORUM
PS We are perilously close to being on topic :wink: - should this be moved to re-enactment?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quick, make some OT comment before the moderators move us.... :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel