Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Levy private collection of Roman militaria
Salve,<br>
In another thread on the Re-enactment board on the Roman halmet with mask (e.g. Kalkriese) it was mentioned that in the Levy private collection in New York a complete version existed. Are there any sources for what is in the Levy collection- or even drawings/ photographs?<br>
<br>
Hopefully the collection was left to the New York Metropolitan museum after Leon Levy's recent and sad demise?<br>
<br>
Thanks and regards<br>
<br>
Paul <p></p><i></i>
Paul,<br>
I was under the impression that the Levy collection was more of a general "ancient antiquity" collection rather than military.<br>
The 'face' type helmets are popular in these collections too for their similarity to bronze portrait busts. The "Pseudo Imperial Gallic" helmet with Kalkreise type facemask from the Levy collection can be found in Guttmann Catalog "Roman Battle and Tournament Armor", pg. 20. This is what I based the reconstuction on, and I am quite pleased with it.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Dan,<br>
<br>
Many thanks! I'll get on to Oxbow and get hold of a copy. I'm also looking forward very much to the catalogue of the next Christies auction of Gutmann equipment and to seeing the helmets etc in London- perhaps for the last time before they again move into private hands....<br>
Any other gems that you know of in private collections?<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Paul<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marcus\' levy during the Marcomannic Wars Epictetus 8 2,684 01-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Private Collection helmet - photos Peroni 18 4,313 08-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Pugio (Private Collection?) Doc 14 3,840 09-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Last Post: jkaler48