Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armour, weapons,... Archers in the 1st Century AD
In the first century AD, what kind of armour did archers wear? Lorica Hamata, yes, but also leather armour or squamata? And what weapons did they use (besides the bow ofcourse)? Weapons according to their own people, or the normal gladius and pugio?

I know most archers were of Eastern origin, but which other peoples provided archers for auxilia/mercenaries? Scythians, and Sarmatians perhaps?
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:leather

I hope you're a fast runner Sander :lol:

You can read dozens of threads on this board about the inaccuray and inefficiency of leather armour.

Hamata and squamata are definitely an option, but I guess archers were often unarmoured too.

The scythians didn't exist any more in name in the 1st century AD. They were split up in several other tribes and nations.

Very famous were the Hamian auxiliary archers (from Syria).

Other weapons: They could certainly carry a gladius: http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/

Vale,

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hm... I was looking in the "Show your Roman soldier impression", and I saw this guy:
[url:llc3xz1o]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p142/faventianus/IvanSagitarius.jpg[/url]

He's wearing leather, or I'm becoming blind? Tongue
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Quote:Hm... I was looking in the "Show your Roman soldier impression", and I saw this guy:
[url:3cdzloms]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p142/faventianus/IvanSagitarius.jpg[/url]

Hehe, that's leather indeed. But that's not a 1st century AD soldier, the period you are inquiring about.

I believe Faventivs based his leather lammelar armour on 3rd century finds from Dura Europos. But I'm not sure if the leather armour parts that were found belonged to Roman armour.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I think the Cretan's were known for archers as well, if I'm not being misled.....Caesar was suposed to have had some, or was it Pompay?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:But that's not a 1st century AD soldier, the period you are inquiring about.

Just wanted to give you an answer. Tongue

And the cretan archers, I heard of them too, but wasn't sure of the period.

I saw this helmet on Soul of the Warrior, but there isn't any more information besides the name and type (AH6313 Horn Archer Helmet)
[Image: tb_6313.jpg]
What period is this?
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Quote:
Marcus Mummius:2x9j1mnn Wrote:But that's not a 1st century AD soldier, the period you are inquiring about.

Just wanted to give you an answer. Tongue

And the cretan archers, I heard of them too, but wasn't sure of the period.

I saw this helmet on Soul of the Warrior, but there isn't any more information besides the name and type (AH6313 Horn Archer Helmet)
[Image: tb_6313.jpg]
What period is this?

Not 100% sure, but I believe it is late 20th century..... Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Oh please, shut up. Tongue
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Quote:In the first century AD, what kind of armour did archers wear?

I put together some info on the Hamians here..
http://www.romanarmy.net/hamians.htm

there's a couple of photos and details of helmets there.

The helmet you posted a pic of above is a reconstruction of this helmet. Looks later than first Century to me (?) The cheek guards are reminiscent of 6th century Spangenhelms such as the Baldenheim and Krefeld examples.

[Image: Keulen_kinderhelm_klein1.jpg]
Quote:The helmet you posted a pic of above is a reconstruction of this helmet. Looks later than first Century to me (?) The cheek guards are reminiscent of 6th century Spangenhelms such as the Baldenheim and Krefeld examples.

This helmet isn't Roman but Merovingian (6th century indeed). It was found under the Domchurch of Cologne (Keulen) in the grave of what probably was a prince. The helmet wasn't made for an adult but for the head of the young owner. Deepeeka made a, not very accurate, adult size version of it.

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:
Sandrus Castus Rapax:13aqxwzx Wrote:Hm... I was looking in the "Show your Roman soldier impression", and I saw this guy:
link from old RAT

Hehe, that's leather indeed. But that's not a 1st century AD soldier, the period you are inquiring about.

I believe Faventivs based his leather lammelar armour on 3rd century finds from Dura Europos. But I'm not sure if the leather armour parts that were found belonged to Roman armour.

Vale,

My hardened leather lamellar is inspired in the eastern peoples armour, probably made of lacquered rawhide (or boiled or waxed leather), I portray a late Roman soldier who acquired it through his Persian campaign... as a foreign-souvenir...
Of course, we have the examples of Dura Europos, but it's not properly lamellar but scale armor, made of lacquered rawhide and was intended to protect the rider's upper leg (probably Persian).
Metal lamellar is surely more effective but leather one was lighter and cheaper, and was better than having nothing at all in those bad Late Roman times...

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p142 ... sses_1.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p142 ... uisses.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p142 ... ses_21.jpg
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=19779 (scroll down)
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Thanks for the information! I really like your armour. Smile
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Quote:Oh please, shut up. Tongue

Great manners! Confusedhock:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sorry, forgot I was talking to an English guy. Tongue lol:
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Quote:Sorry, forgot I was talking to an English guy. Tongue lol:

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

First you're rude to me, then you insult me!!!!!
What ever has become of todays youth? :roll: :wink: 8)

But getting back to that helmet, I was under the impression that it was only a figment of Deepeekas imagination.

To be honest, even the picture Peronis posted looks a little dubious! :?
Either a bad reconstruction or worse....... Confusedhock:

And as Jef says, it's not Roman to boot!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman weapons and culture and Hindus weapons SAJID 7 2,996 01-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Last Post: daryush
  Polybius, horse archers arrows, roman armour, oh my. Aulus Perrinius 84 18,012 07-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Last Post: marka
  Bronze armour/weapons in the Imperial Army Carus Andiae 5 3,708 08-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Carus Andiae