Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cornu versus Lituus
I was just talking (via email of course) with Peroni about the use of the Lituus. I know only cornu are depicted on the adamklissi metopes. I haven't yet examined Trajan's column but Peroni thinks its only cornu there as well. Anybody else know anything about the use of the Lituus?
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
I believe I've read in several places that the lituus was used by cavalry units. I also remember something about religious ceremonies, but this might have been in respect to another form of trumpet.

Sorry about the lack of references :oops:

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
See this discussion about a lituus probably not being Roman:

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 46&start=0
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:See this discussion about a lituus probably not being Roman:

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 46&start=0

But the archaeological record clearly shows that it was Roman... Except if we're dealing with exellent forgeries.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:I was just talking (via email of course) with Peroni about the use of the Lituus. I know only cornu are depicted on the adamklissi metopes. I haven't yet examined Trajan's column but Peroni thinks its only cornu there as well. Anybody else know anything about the use of the Lituus?

Trajan's has both Cornu and Tuba. I don't recall any Lituus. I bought one of the Depeekas (they keep referring to it in their catalog as a tuba :? ) It is playable but not a great tone. Changing the mouthpiece to something more modern helps a great deal. Then again, with a good mouthpiece you can get music from a garden hose. I got it just to have another example of horn types. Vegetius speaks to both the cornu and tuba for infantry use but no mention of the lituus. My collection started with a homemade cornu in copper and brass and a brass tuba made from a busted coronet. Next came a silvered tuba with a more gradually flaring bell. I eventually broke down and bought a Depeeka cornu, but I haven't yet bothered to line it up and solder the tubing sections together. A couple months ago my Dad called and said he'd found another old horn for me to cut up. It turns out to be a copper and brass tuba that is almost the twin of my cornu. No modifications needed, just some minor repairs. He paid $2 for it at a yard sale... I gave him $4. Add those to the lituus and the other cornu that one of our auxilliaries owns and III CYR has got quite a horn section. If we can find enough players I'd like to try out that Jericho knock-down-the-walls ploy.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"