Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorgons and Images
I was told or I read somewhere that there were five gorgons?

Is this true and if so who were they. I know of Medusa but the others I am not sure of.

There were also satyrs. Does anyone know them or have a list of them.

I saw a photo of one of Sertorius Festus phalerae. One of the images (his lower left phalera next to the horse) is a round chubby face. It appears to have no facial hair and looks rather like a boy instead of a man. Does anyone know who might this image be of.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
As far as I remember there were three gorgons.
Euryale ("far-roaming"), Sthenno ("forceful"), and Medusa ("ruler"), the only one of them who was mortal. They were the three daughters of Phorcys and Ceto.
Quote:I saw a photo of one of Sertorius Festus phalerae. One of the images (his lower left phalera next to the horse) is a round chubby face. It appears to have no facial hair and looks rather like a boy instead of a man. Does anyone know who might this image be of.

It's hard to tell from the image, but if it is a boy, it could be a cupid - as I am reading, a known motif for the phalerae between Tiberius and Claudius. One, which is thought to be a depiction of cupid, is found as far as the Ural Mountains near Perm - here is a pic.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Thanks for the pic and info.

Interesting, a cupid. Well Sertorius is in the Claudian era so why not?

Does anyone have photos of the Gorgons?

What or who was a satyr? Any photos?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Does anyone have photos of the Gorgons?

I tried to take one of Medusa, but camera turned to stone....Well, actually it was just my wife first thing in the morning before she'd combed her hair. The camera didn't really turn to stone either, but she won't give it back Cry
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
I have a good image of the Gorgons from Aquae Sulis, its a Romano Celtic, I remember them saying it wa unusual due to the mustache:

[Image: scan.jpg]

Any help??
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Please try www.theoi.com for info and pics.

If you look for roman era gorgonia images I knoe only of a 3rde century AD engraving of a brooch with the phrase "ARO ROROMADARI". It means "I protect Roromadari". Probably a gift from a greek speaking auxiliary to a girl and probably Asmolean collection.
Hope it helps.
Of course a collage :wink:

[Image: GORG-1.jpg]

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Quote:I have a good image of the Gorgons from Aquae Sulis, its a Romano Celtic

That's no Gorgon Wes, that's the Celtic God Sulis! The Romans associated him with Minerva.
The tour guy lied then!! He said it was a Medusa that had been "briton-ised" Sorry!!!
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

No need to apologise Wes! Big Grin

Sulis was associated with the sacred spring that was turned by the Romans into the Bath house at Bath (Aqua Sulis)
Maybe I misunderstood...babysitting 14 teenagers kind of takes a toll on ones mental abilities!!! They were more interested in drinking than touring, once they figured out 18 was legal age. Not to mention the World Cup partying!!
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Grazie Daniele,

Da quale secolo sono questi. E quale gorgoni rapresentano

Translation for all others?

What century do they represent and which gorgons are they?

Paolo

Paolo
Figurati Paolo, non c'è di che! Smile

Mainly from about I century Aera Vulgaris.

They all represent Medusa. Greek an roman soldiers, after Athena, loved to believe that applying a Medusa face on the chest of the armour, they would be protected from enemies by turning them to stone. Of course it was rather a fashion but a must with deep roots of belief.

Read all the Myth at: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/classes/finALp.html

VAle,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Di nuovo grazie Daniele.

E' possibile che rapresentano le sorelle di medusa. Avevo letto che le tre sorelle si rassomigliavano.

La dottoressa Modonesi al museo Maffeano di Verona aveva menzionato che Sertorius ha tre Gorgoni. Il falere centrale e una Medusa mentre gli altri due che sono laterali vicino al cavallo sono semplicemente gorgoni. Allora pensavo se non sono le sorelle di medusa se come i gorgoni sono tre.

Prima cosa, uno dei gorgoni su Sertorius rassomiglia ad un bambino simile a quella dipinzione piccola che si trova sotto la medusa in argento nella foto che hai data. Si rassomiglia anche ha quella dipinzione dell'imagine in ceramica a canto a quella verde.

Allora dico se la foto fa vedere tutte medusa e le sorelle si rassomigliano, forse i tre gorgoni su Sertorius possono rapresentare medusa o varie faccie di medusa? Ce' anche la possibilita' che possono essere in fatti medua e le sorelle gemelle nella foto. No? Che ne pensi?

Scusa per l'italino. Vivo in america da 26 anni e provo a scrivere e praticare l'italiano quando possibile.

To summarize what I asked Daniele: Basically, I said is it possible that the photos he posted are not only Medusas but also the sisters. I read that they looked alike. I spoke to what I believe is the curator in Verona where Sertorius is. She said that three of the phalerae are all gorgons. However, if you look at one of them, it looks like a boy similar to what Daniele posted above especially the one under the silver medusa and the ceramic one next to the green medusa. The curator said that they are not all medusas. So I was asking the possibility if the three Sertorius gorgons do not represent medusa and the sisters

Paolo

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gorgons were similar? Doc 0 1,156 03-28-2008, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Doc