Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New cavalry harness find to be displayed at Ipswich
From yesterday's East Anglian Daily Times/Evening Star..

Great for me as it's only 15 mins drive! Big Grin

New light on Roman East Anglia

11 December 2007 | 15:30
A LEADING archaeologist spoke of his excitement today as it was revealed a collection of extremely rare Roman artefacts of international significance have been secured for the people of Ipswich.

The intricate pieces dating from the revolt at Colchester by the warriors loyal to the Iceni queen Boudicca in AD60 or AD 61 make up the first complete set of Roman cavalry decorations ever found in Britain.

Today The Evening Star can reveal for the first time that the items, found in a Holbrook field by a metal detecting enthusiast in August, 2004, represent one of the most exciting archaeological finds in the area ever.

It is thought they were stolen as booty from the ransacked Roman capital at Colchester and brought north before being buried in Holbrook for safe-keeping.

Experts in metal archaeology based at Colchester and Ipswich Museum Service's Colchester laboratory are now in the process of carefully cleaning and preserving the 30 items found in a small pit in the Holbrook field. They say they would have formed a “spectacularâ€
Any news on this? Pictures?
Interesting article.
To bad it is again a detector find where the archaeological context is unknown.

To go with Cesar, any pictures around somewhere?
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
I don't know Garrelt we can't just write off Metal detecting as a bad thing, when used in a proper manner this hobby can be very helpfull indeed. I myself put a Roman Belt buckle and plate into the British Museum for I thought and Mick Bishop agreed it was the first of it's type ever to be found in Britain. It would appear that Jordan Nye had the good sense to behave in a proper manner about these finds, he may have made much more money in the underground market but did not do that.
Brian Stobbs
Brian

When used in a proper manner i agree.
For understanding your national history and finding your national heritage i agree also.
We also use metal detectors when we are working at an excavation.

It doesn't always have to be an underground market, ancient artifacts are being sold by (ancient) art galleries at collector fairs and even on historic events.

In some countries/regions it is even forbidden, to walk around whith or be in possesion of a metal detector.

You always have the problem with the good and the bad intentions.
So nothing personal.

But i think this going a bit of topic now.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Garrelt...

Are you an archaeologist? I hate metal detectors, here in Spain practically all the detectorist sells pieces in ilegal ways.

At the past week, spanish police have made another great operation against that people. And by first time, the connection between the plunders and some Internet places is established.

So, in the next weeks more detentions will have be made. Not only sellers, probably buyers too.

So, be careful with buy roman pieces by the net...
Same here I hate them too, especially the ones digging for their own agenda...

I know of several detectorists who work closely with archaeologists, as well as WWII Air-craft recovery groups... I have a lot of respect for them..

The rest should all be Crucified.

M.VIB.M.

PS: any pictures of the find???

The theory that it would have been loot is ridiculous imho.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Garrelt...

Are you an archaeologist?

Cesar I'm not an archaeologist by study but my colleagues are.
Most of the time i work in the office, doing IT and research.
And yes you can sometimes find me at an excavation digging.

Detectorists working in combination with archaeologists, i approve.
Treasure hunting is something i don't like.
No fun coming back in the morning at an excavation, and seeing holes which were not there when you left the evening before.

National History/Heritage is in my opinion for everybody and not for a happy few.

I sure like the artifacts themselves, but I'm also interested in their context.
In this case it is about a horse harness.
So was it found as lose parts or was it in context with a horse burial, where the horse was buried complete with its harness on.
These are important details for reconstructions.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Garrelt,

Have or not study titulation, i see you now as a collegue.

And turning to the topic:

Any pictures? Peroni?

I'm very interested in make another harness (masochism?) but of pieces founded asembled.
I am the infamous "should be crucified" metal detectorist that is Jordan Nye
Thanks for all your comments..........just to clarify a few things

I have been a metal detectorist for more than 12 years and have always fully cooperated with all archaeologists over my finds.

I only ever go on land where I have the full permission from landowners and always give half of what i find to the landowner

I have never sold a single item of what I have found (except this to the museum) and every single item of historical interest that has come up has been seen and recorded by the archeological services

I know at least 100 other detectorists in the UK and they all act with the same good will to the archaeological world

and finally

When I discovered the harness, I dug up about a quarter of the items before deciding the best thing would be to call the archaeologists to do the rest for me..........the consequence being that the rest of the find and the imediate surrounding area was fully excavated by qualified archaeologists

Do I still deserve to be crucified??

Jordan

HISTORY FOR ALL, NOT THE PRIVILEDGED FEW!
Welcome to the Forum, Jordan and thanks for telling us first-hand news! Smile
We would like that you'd decide to stay here beyond what you need to put things clear.

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Welcome Jordon, and congratulations on such an important find!!!

And thanks for putting your case across, as I feel that is the best way to do it!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think that you have put foward a valid point Jordan, indeed it echos very much the point I was trying to make. I have been detecting now for twice as long, well I might be twice your age also but you make me so envious(not realy) I just think it's wonderfull for what you have also given to posterity.
Brian Stobbs
Jordan Welcome

Nothing personal to you or other people who have good intentions in my posts.
We just had some bad experiences in the past.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Quote:I am the infamous "should be crucified" metal detectorist that is Jordan Nye
Thanks for all your comments..........just to clarify a few things

I have been a metal detectorist for more than 12 years and have always fully cooperated with all archaeologists over my finds.

I only ever go on land where I have the full permission from landowners and always give half of what i find to the landowner

I have never sold a single item of what I have found (except this to the museum) and every single item of historical interest that has come up has been seen and recorded by the archeological services

I know at least 100 other detectorists in the UK and they all act with the same good will to the archaeological world

and finally

When I discovered the harness, I dug up about a quarter of the items before deciding the best thing would be to call the archaeologists to do the rest for me..........the consequence being that the rest of the find and the imediate surrounding area was fully excavated by qualified archaeologists

Do I still deserve to be crucified??

Jordan

HISTORY FOR ALL, NOT THE PRIVILEDGED FEW!

Crucify him! Crucify him! :wink:

..and while your at it, crucify myself, my parents and my husband too as we too are evil detectorists. :roll: We too work with local archaeologists and museums and are registered and fully insured-and have never sold a single find. Everything of any historical value is recorded with the local finds liason officer.My mom has also taken part on many archaeological digs as a volunteer.
Great find, Jordan. I bet you're over the moon. Big Grin
Have you been approached by 'The Searcher' magazine yet ? :wink:

I can understand the hostility in some cases though, there are plenty of 'nighthawkers' about, and controls aren't in place in many countries to combat these.
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re: Possible Cavalry Harness(headpiece of horse)found! mcbishop 9 3,050 09-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Cavalry helmet - need help identifying find site Peroni 7 2,413 08-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Peroni