Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3mm mail plus scales
This weekend one of our group (Tony) had a sample from Eric Schmidt of 3mm riveted mail with less than thumb nail sized scales on it. Amazing: had to almost have a magnifying lens for it. Too small for my cell phone camera, but maybe Tony will post an image? He paid $50 for a 1" square (about 2cm square).
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Hello!

This must be the controversial lorica plumata armour?
Juuso Laasonen
For $50 a square inch, controversial is one name you could apply to it!! Confusedhock: Confusedhock: I can think of a few other terms to apply as well! Smile

Eric Schmidt is certainly one of the leading experts on armour of the chain mail variation!

I hope you will post more pictures once your friend is in possession of the full suit?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If you check Erik´s webpage you can see pictures of this kind of armour.

Link:
http://webpages.charter.net/erikdschmid/

Best wishes,

Martijn
Quote:If you check Erik´s webpage you can see pictures of this kind of armour.

Link:
http://webpages.charter.net/erikdschmid/

Best wishes,

Martijn

Yes I had seen that before! I was hoping to see someone wearing soe of his reproductions! Sad roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If you ask him how long it takes to make that square inch you will consider his prices to be very reasonable.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Oooooo, neato!! Can't wait till the next workshop, we can tape it to his forehead and do weapon tests, hee hee! ("Oops, missed it, sorry Tony! Darn, missed it again!")

Matthew the Evil Commander
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Me first! Me first!!!!
Derek D. Estabrook
I cannot wait for the full shirt either. He is currently making me the first plumata as we speak.

It will take by Eriks estimation a few years to complete.

Once complete, I will post the photos or better yet I will post some photos of the work in progress as he sends them to me.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Dan Howard is correct.

It is insanely intricate given the miniture size of the scales and mail. I have a small sample and can vouch for the labor involved.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:I cannot wait for the full shirt either. He is currently making me the first plumata as we speak.

It will take by Eriks estimation a few years to complete.

I am next in line with Erik. I have decided to sell a kidney to raise the necessary funds. Anyone know someone in need of a slightly used kidney?

Matt, if you shoot at me, you darn well better miss the armor. It'll be more valuable than my skin, and doubtless quite a bit better looking.

As soon as I get my camera working again I'll post some pics. The rings are insanely small. I had to use a jeweler's loop to get a good look at the rivetting. I can not even begin to imagine taking on a project like this myself.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Quote:If you ask him how long it takes to make that square inch you will consider his prices to be very reasonable.

That still woudn't put it in my price range! :lol:

I'll just have to dream and peer across the tracks at those who can :wink:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Unless the value of the American dollar goes down any more. Then it'll be like using dollars for pesos in Mexico. :wink:
Derek D. Estabrook
Quote:Unless the value of the American dollar goes down any more. Then it'll be like using dollars for pesos in Mexico. :wink:

Of course then the cost of brass would go up for Erik. Face it you have a choice, either a car or plumata. A car allows you to get to work, go to the grocery store for food, go on dates with your wife or girl friend, etc. Basically everything in modern life requires a car. On the other hand plumata would be beyond cool. The solution is obvious. Sell the car and buy the plumata. If that is still not enough, look around for other items to sell that you don't really use or want anymore: kidneys, children, wives, etc.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Well yeah, I was just kidding about the dollar. I definately don't want it to go down any more as I have a lot of work commissioned across the pond.
Car? Thats what we were given feet for. Children? You can always make more. Wife? Saves you the fee of contacting a lawyer, plus you make money instead of losing it. Internal organs? Who cares, so long as you have two of them. Sounds like a good plan, wise council Tony. Big Grin shock: :twisted:
Derek D. Estabrook