Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Undergarments
Hi There,
I'm writing (well trying to write) a book on how to make Anglo-Saxon clothing (5th/6th century). As there isn't much evidence for such, I'm looking at other sources like Roman clothing, etc. I have been very interested in the one or two posts on subligaculum, and have had a go at making a variety of shapes myself.
What I would like to ask is if the various types/styles where worn by both sexes or if a certain type were limited to one sex. I'm thinking of the 'ties at the sides brief' type shown on women athletes/at the baths. Were they only worn by women? Do we know, or is it just that that's the only picture?
One other thing - are there any accounts of 'barbarian' clothing from Roman writers?
Thanks
Rosie Wilkin
Rosie Wilkin
AFAIK we have only one picture and a handful of finds, but all of them seem pretty clearly to be designed for women or girls. As to accounts of barbarian clothing, some do exist (often on the stereotypical side - Roman writers often aim to meet expectations, and barbarians simply *have* to wear furs), but I can not recall any undergarment being mentioned (Tacitus IIRC explicitly states that poorer Germans wore *nothing* under their cloaks).

You might want to take a look at A.T. Croom: Roman Clothing and Fashion to get a fuller picture. The section on underwear is pretty good and she knows how to bibliograph. I am doubtful, however, to what extent Roman material is useful for Anglo-Saxon England in the fifth and sixth centuries. IMO you would be safer extrapolating from the textile finds in Northern Europe. You would likely have had some Roman influence in clerical and elite circles, but I can't see the average Anglo-Saxon going for expensive and unfamiliar imports. Clothing was, after all, largely a subsistence product in the early years, and traditions like that die hard.

Of course, we seem to have literally *nothing* on female underwear between the 4th century Piazza Armerina bikini bottoms and the 11th century Salerno braies.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:I'm writing (well trying to write) a book on how to make Anglo-Saxon clothing (5th/6th century). As there isn't much evidence for such,

Hi, you obviously have not seen
'Cloth and Clothing in Early Anglo Saxon England AD 450-700'. By Penelope Walton Rogers. CBA Research report 145 (2007). ISBN 978 1 902771 54 0

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
There is also another book on Saxon clothing which has been around for a few years and that is:

'Dress in Anglo Saxon England',
G.R. Owen-Crocker
ISBN 978 1843 830 818.

Both this and Penelope Roger's book are currently available on Amazon UK at reduced prices.

I have not seen the Owen-Crocker book myself but I did some work for Penelope Rogers and can certainly reccomend that.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.