Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing paint from a Deepeeka "macedonian" helmet
Hi there!

I have a Deepeeka macedonian / thracian helmet which has this awful fake bronze paint in it. I know it has an iron core and it would look great exposed. So here is my question:

-how can I remove the paint? With sandpaper it seems to be a bit too hard and the decorations & grooves on the surface makes it impossible to reach the bottom of all the tiny curves. Are there any good solvents for the job, perhaps?

Thanks in advance :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Have you tried paint stripper?

Or Caustic soda?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Have you tried paint stripper?
Or Caustic soda?

No, I just tried with a sand paper :oops: . Just remembered that my friend is working at a industrial paint factory which makes paints for tankers, for example. I think he can help me with this...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
It would help to find out what kind of paint it is. Different paints respond to different chemicals. Check with the Deepeeka folks, would be my first suggestion.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yup. I use a commercial paint remover that comes in a spray can to remove the lacquer from the outside/black paint from the inside of my DPKa helmets and it is pretty easy to do.

Good luck!

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
If you plan to glue anything to the inside, it is very smart to remove that black paint. Wish they'd just skip that step, don't you?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes i do too. I can't say I 've had any problems glueing in liners, but removing them to clean them is a pain with all that black paint stuck on...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Same here- a regular gel commercial paint stripper got the black paint out of my commercial helmet just fine. I'd think it fairly unlikely Deepeeka would be using any odd paint that'd be resistent to paint stripper...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Same here- a regular gel commercial paint stripper got the black paint out of my commercial helmet just fine. I'd think it fairly unlikely Deepeeka would be using any odd paint that'd be resistent to paint stripper...

I used the commercial gel paint stripper and what a surprise; it worked Big Grin ! The bigger surprise was that under the paint was COPPER!!! Now I have a nice copper coloured helmet with a patina and I am very happy with it!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
please, can you take photo how it looks now? It sounds interesting
Pavel Nikolajev / VANDALICVS
DECIMA GEMINA

DUM SPIRO SPERO
Quote:under the paint was COPPER!!!
I'm reasonably sure the helmet isn't really made of copper. Some chemicals can draw some of the copper to the surface on brass, if the helmet was brass. If not, maybe there is a copper compound in the paint stripper that transferred to the surface. Does it look copper on both the inside and the outside? If so, that would be a good thing to know about!

What brand of stripper? Imagine, painting a design on a brass helmet with the stripper, then rinsing it off, and making the helmet look as if it were plated selectively!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'm sure I've seen copper versions of these for sale on the internet.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Well, maybe I'm not SO sure, then. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Here it is, I will get a better pic on the daylight! In reality the tone of the colour is more red, like copper, which it also smells. It seems that the helmet is made of iron COATED with copper!? (I scratched the surface and it seems that underneath there is iron...)

I must say that this helmet is not so bad after all (then again I have also a "soft spot" for Alexander the great) :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
WOW Confusedhock: this looks cool :!: can wait for more pics
Pavel Nikolajev / VANDALICVS
DECIMA GEMINA

DUM SPIRO SPERO

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I paint my helmet? Dye my chinstraps? jkaler48 2 1,343 12-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS
  Removing colour from wool... Magnus 3 1,277 11-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Magnus