Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spatha reproduction question
Would anyone like to comment on the relative authenticity of Deepeka's spathae, particularly the one with the Koln-style pommel (AH-2001)? I know that Albion Armorers' Koln Spatha is superior, but it's also about 4 times more expensive, and lacks a scabbard. <p></p><i></i>
Hi Magnentius,<br>
I have not seen the Albion spatha, but I've seen some of the Deepeka ones (about three of them, to equip my re-enactment group)<br>
Like all the Deepeka handles, pommel and guard are not made of one piece but carved out of blocks of layers of bone glued together.<br>
The 'leather' covering the scabbard is horrible and the 'dolphin' slider (a litle anachronistic, in my opinion) tends to get loose from the scabbard after a time of wear.<br>
Anyway, try to get something better for that price...<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor,<br>
<br>
Any thoughts on the Windlass steelcrafts spatha?<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
Owain<br>
<br>
groups.yahoo.com/group/Segontium/ <p></p><i></i>
Sorry, Owain, I don't know it (or so I think, without seeing how it looks like!)<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Avete!<br>
I'd steer well clear of ANY "Roman" or "Greek" equipment from Windlass or Museum Replicas. They have repeatedly proven that they don't give a crap about accuracy, even when offered free information on how to improve their products while cutting production costs! I don't remember the Windlass spatha offhand, but there's practically no way it can be as good as what Deepeeka offers.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
While Deepeeka's products might lack a bit of durability, this is easy to fix! I've re-built 2 of my deepeeka scabbards, adding new leather and sometimes brasswork, not to mention a new pommel and handguard. So with a bit of time, you can make them into very good weapons. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" Coh I<br>
<br>
"Lay your hand, or thy tongue against the greatness of Rome, and feel my wrath." - Matt Lanteigne<br>
<br>
- Number of posts: current +1248</p><i></i>