Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this forum still dedicated to the ROMAN Army???
Jeroen:<br>
Don't take us too seriously. Few of us can resist making smartass remarks when we find an opportunity. Especially if we can use a pun or word-play. Unfortunately, humor is one of those things that doesn't translate well between languages and cultures. Rest assured that all that counts here is a mutual enthusiasm for the Roman military. <p></p><i></i>
Oh yes, all of us Late Romans can tell you all very clearly that those almost forgotten Parthians were only smiling mild nuns compared with that nasty Sapurs and their Sassanian boys!<br>
<br>
Aitor, COH.I.GALL. <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hey guys, too much of this parthian bashing joke is begining to smell like rotten fish (or relatives). It is difficult to understand military history and to make absolute (useful) comparisons; it certainly doesn't help much if crank remarks are made too often.<br>
<br>
To be serious I am tempted to say that the sassanians (sassanids) were simply better organized and that the hardware and tactics were basically the same of that of the parthians. What do you know about this? I haven't read yet the books that Sander has flagged. Any thoughts or conclusions?<br>
<br>
I am sure many things occurred over the very long time span of fighting between rome and its eastetrn neighbors. Evolutions certainly did occur. But Shapur 1 was in power only about 10-20 years after his father took power and I honestly tend to think that he did not really change the hardware or tactics that much (same heavy cavalry, same mounter archers, essentially a lousy infantry not significantly better than the parthian one to explain the big Shapur successes; if I am not wrong the sassanians even used elephants but much later than the Shapur 1 invasions).<br>
<br>
Let me put it this way. I get the feeling the mobile army reforns of gallienus were more significant that any changes in the sassanian army (many roman emperors were mobile army commanders, claudius, aurelian,...). while the sassanian army just got slightly better at doing what they always did in the field PLUS they learned to besiege (from roman prisioners? there goes my eurcocentric tendency again...).<br>
<br>
BUT PLEASE the PRO-parthian/sassanian people shouldn't jump to the conclusion that the roman cavalry changes were introduced to counter persia. Indeed I have the strong feeling the roman changes were introduced more to counter the many-theater threats of that terrible period: persia, goths AND the (above all?) the internal one (cival war). Indeed in the long run the need to have a mobile army close to the mobile emperor was, in my opinion, the most important reason the roman army changed to that after Constantine, not some generic cavalry threat on the distant eastern front. There is of course plenty of room for debate.<br>
<br>
Getting back to Shapur he had more political power and was by far more able to orchestrate things, even to the point of actually invading deeply roman territory with a complicated plan. The Parthians were politically incapable of doing so and basically only responded to roman aggression.<br>
<br>
But even with all the qualifiers and doubts I have, and you should have too, I hope you all acknowledge that Shapur was truely a great military organizer with real talent in turning the army around and giving it the aggressive punch. But of course the romans were not at their best being sapped by continuous cival wars and goths running around and even killing poor Decius. But lets not be too distracted in our simplifications not to note that Shapurs' talent was hereditary: his dad neutralized Alexander Severus' full scale invasion and had evidently already transformed the weak army of the rotten-parthian state into something significantly good enough to stop, if not humiliate, Alexander!<br>
<br>
Shapur later make great progress against rome when rome was weak and off balance, but the opposite is true too: the romans made best results when the parthians/sassanians were weak for similar reasons (internal threats and unrest and distant wars in the deep asian lands of persia all the way to india, and, I truely believe, from constant roman successful aggressions).<br>
<br>
Rome was over extended and that in my opinion is the single best explanation of her inability to conquer and HOLD persia. Apart from that ,a well led and balanced roman army with limited scope could almost do what it wanted. The problems arose when the romans never really had a well defined scope: too much propaganda and who-is-the-boss on the block ideology all fueled by alexander the great fantasys.<br>
<br>
p.s. I would not, if I were you, exagerate in down playing Crassus' or Antony's defeats by hands of the parthians and even forget other single legions getting wiped out here and there. If doesn't sound like the work of "nuns" and to insist too much interpreting those defeats as accidents is to miss out on what made the roman army strong and occasionaly weak.<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=goffredo>goffredo</A> at: 3/15/03 6:00:49 pm<br></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Brilliant exposition, Goffredo!<br>
I was, like most of the guys in this thread, just kidding a little while suopporting Robert's remarks! Understand us, we, late re-enactors feel usually very lonely and forgotten!<br>
Yes the Sassanians were better organized than the Parthians and it allowed them to be a greater nuisance, when not a threat, for the Romans. That long-termed struggle only favoured finally a third newcomer, the Muslims!<br>
Who knows how history would have gone if Trajan wouldn't have died just when he had the Parthian realm on its knees!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Parthians Schmarthians. If you want real Roman butt-kickers, give me the Germanics any day. <p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<br>
<br>
Visit 'Clades Variana' - Home of the Varus Film Project<br>
<br>
Help create the film of Publius Quinctilius Varus' lost legions</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Is anyone out there knowledgable enough to try comparing the roman man losses against the germanics and the parthian/sassanians, say, to be more specific, compare the rhine, danube and eastern fronts.<br>
<br>
The number and density of the legions deployed does tell us something but it still requires interpretation. Fewer legion in the east because parthia and "persia" could also be delt with diplomatically while the germanic tribes were always bubbling, but that doesn't automatically mean they were more dangerous battle, it just requiresd continuous vigliance.<br>
<br>
SO the interesting roman army map would be the locations of where legions were actually destroyed (not generic defeats). I remember the old Evans book on each legion. I am away from home so cann't page thru it to take note of where he claims the destroyed legions ended their existence. For starters one could compile a simple table of three or more columns (Rhine, Danube, Persia, other places).<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=goffredo>goffredo</A> at: 3/16/03 10:45:10 am<br></i>
Jeffery Wyss
That would be interesting, and to some extent possible Goffredo, but what classifies as a defeat? We've seen in earlier discussions that the fate of some legions is unclear to say the least. And, for instance, if a legion disappears between 120 and 150 AD, it might have succumbed to the last Jewish revolt or against the Parthians. So what do we know then? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yes I agree<br>
I stessed legion destruction rather than defeat but even then the records are reconstructed and based on some substantial interpretation. The best we can do The information is to keep track of the uncertainty when attempting any conclusions.<br>
<br>
Anyone have the Evans book or something equivalent at hand and want to sit down an evening and make a table alloing for some degree of uncertainty at least to allow the determination of whether the northern limes was really more deadly over roman history. Of course in certain periods things might have been very concentrated in hot theaters but I wish to know what 400-500 years of fighting implied.<br>
<br>
In the future a Roman Empire Map with little CROSSES would be sad but interesting to see, maybe with a simple color code to account for period (e.g. blue early empire, yellow mid, and red late empire). <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
Interesting sure, but I for one (and I could name one or two others ) would try to do that thoroughly (i.e. not just with Evans) and that would take some more time then an evening. Nonetheless, this might be something for RA.com. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Bloody Parthians! Running around in their sun dresses trying to act like John Wayne!!! <p><BR><p align=center><font color=gold><font size=2><br>
_________________________________________________<BR><br>
VTINAM MODO SVBIVNCTIVO NVNQVAM MALE VTARIS<BR><br>
_________________________________________________</font></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dedicated scholars Jona Lendering 3 1,295 06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Medieval Army forum? Dagann 4 1,650 12-10-2005, 03:06 AM
Last Post: Dagann
  A Website dedicated to Reconstructions by Reenactors? Anonymous 3 1,970 07-21-2002, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Caius Fabius