Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MANICA Reconstruction
Matt wrote "In the case of a MANICA, it's supplementary defense- optional, not at all strictly necessary, so only doing a reasonable job of protecting the most vulnerable areas is perfectly logical. I think it's very important to always bear in mind that armor is a last line of defense and is never intended to be hit- the main protection is the shield and simply moving around, so armor doesn't need to be all-protecting and too much armor is definitely a liability as it affects movement, which IS a primary defense"

Spot on, Matt- and I believe that the manica is there not to absorb a blow but to deflect- so especially useful against spears, sword- and even falxes.

Magnus wrote "given the gravity of the situation the manica was used in"-based on the finds, the manica was used in many areas of war- on the Rhine in 1st C (stele), in Dacia (Adamklissi plus finds), in northern Britannia (Carlisle) and in the Late Roman period (Ammianus, Notitia Dignitatum).

Plus anyone seeing a gladiator fight anywhere in the Empire would have seen one, and potentially asked his local armourer to knock him one up?

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Very nice symmetry there Matt.

Keep up the great work!
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
aka: Phillip Vautour
"Rome is but a wilderness of tigers, and tigers must prey."
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
Very nice, I always thought it was a cool piece of armour. Smile
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Yes, it has always been on my want list! 8)

Unfortunately, the one I bought a couple of years ago is of a gladiatorial style, so is needing modification for legionary use. Although it could be used with a hamata I suppose.....beggars wouldn't have been choosers, even then I imagine!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Yes, it has always been on my want list! 8)

Unfortunately, the one I bought a couple of years ago is of a gladiatorial style, so is needing modification for legionary use. Although it could be used with a hamata I suppose.....beggars wouldn't have been choosers, even then I imagine!!

I can't wait to get home tomorrow evening and try on mine. It's been waiting there for almost two weeks now Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I have just ordered one, thanks for thelink Jef!
I don't get home for 2 weeks, and have orders waiting at couriers.....
with my luck they will have sent them all back before I get there!! Sad
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Mine just arrived today!!
Just have to do liner for them! Big Grin D
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manica Reconstruction by Matt Lukes Doc 8 2,757 11-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Doc