Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MANICA Reconstruction
Matt, they're not loading at my end.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:How do you get the articuloation right? I have been wracking my brain in making mine. I can't seem to get them to articulate properly. Perhaps my lames are to big? How do you get each lame align to the other lames as well as align properly with the gap? Thanks for the pics!!

Not entirely sure what the problem is Jason- I overlapped my lames about 7mm, enough to cover the rivets of the previous one, and the lames are about 2.6cm wide. That means the holes in the internal leathering are all 1.9cm apart- use a compass or just a ruler, mark the holes' positions all along the strap and bingo- you have consistent spacing. If you mean flexibility when you say articulation, that's definitely a function of the lame width you choose- I copied the originals from Newstead but I'd expect others would be around the same since narrow seems quite necessary to get the flexibility...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I get them Jim- even when I close the browser and open a new one...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
And now that I think of it the internal leathering arrangement makes more sense for 'front' wear- there are 4 straps along much of the length from the top but they're along the outer edges and about 4.5cm in from each edge, resulting in a large open space in the middle of the wider plates and that doubtless allows for a minimum of interference with the significant overlapping that occurs when the elbow bends. If the piece were not intended to be worn centrally, the straps wouldn't need to be so far apart. The same holds true for the '4th' strap which ends before the wrist on the thumb side- since the hand bends in rather more than it bends out, no extra leathering there aids in complete flexation whereas over the back of the hand it seemed to be a bit of a problem as when the hand was bent forward complely there was more of a gap on one side than the other where there was a leathering strap.

So there we go- not only does the front wear make sense from a protective point-of-view, the arrangement of the leathering definitely supports it. Very cool!
(Ignore this reply - overtired.)
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Not convinced? I'm on your side now Jim LOL By front I mean as the arm hangs when standing- technically the inside, but it's the front when you hold and point a sword at someone :wink:
LOL. We need to come up with codewords for the directions of the different parts of the arm and hand :? ) Sorry 'bout that. in fact I just re-read it and I see I was being a complete dope. Not had much kip this week.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Nah, it is a bit confusing- inside outside front back- the arm doesn't really lend itself to descriptors so well because it rotates and bends. Guess I should've gone back to gross anatomy to refresh which is anterior, posterior, etc. then I'd have been clear as mud LOL

Anyway, thanks for helping me see the truth Wink It's really good to have something physically to play with to test these theories...
Quote:Here's the alternate wear position:

[Image: PDR_0024.jpg]

[Image: PDR_0025.jpg]

This is how I wear mine. I figure no-one is going to stab the bottom of my arm, so the 3 most exposed areas are covered.

I really like that manica Matt...I have the older version from Matt Amt's site. Be nice to upgrade though I don't think I will. 8)

Legion: TBD
I can see the photos now. Very cool.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Excellent work, and and they all seem more flexable than the one i have..
btw Paul, I have succumbed to temptation and ordered one from Andy!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Very nice work!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Here is a picture of the original for those who may not, like myself, have seen any pics of the item in question..
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks Byron- really useful angle as well!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Too bad it isn't in focus tho' :oops:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manica Reconstruction by Matt Lukes Doc 8 2,758 11-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Doc