Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honey Cakes anyone?
Does anyone have a basic and simple recipe for Roman honeycakes? Of course, it doesn't have to be 100% authentic ... I don't mind substitutions from what the ancients used. Smile Saturnalia is coming up and I wanted to celebrate in my own little way by baking some.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Have you considered Cato's 'placenta'? Lots of redactions and interpretations are around, so I am not going to pretend I have the answers, but basically you make a thin dough of coarse-ish wheat (emmer) ands water. This is rolled out as thin as it will go, and divided into a broad bottom sheet (big enough to werap all around the cake) and layer sheets (the size you want the cake to be). Layer them with a mixture of mild feta of (better) unsalted fresh sheep cheese and honey, cover it up by folding up the outer sheet, and bake. It's easier (but less fun) if you dispense with the outer layer and bake it in a lasagna pan.

Another possibility is 'erneum', also Cato. Again: fresh cheese, honey, coasrse flour (I prefer to use semolina) mixerd into a dough and put into a mopuld (Cato suggests a coarseware vesel which is afterwards broken, but I porefer a puddingmould). suspewnd in boiling water, cook till done, unmould and serve.

Galen has a tantalising little mention of a kind of cake made from boiled quinces and honey. If you just boil, puree and strain quinces and then slow-cook them with an equal weight of honey for a few ghours, the mixture will gel and can be cut into pieces that taste absolutely delicious.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Smile thanks for those! My favourite to try would be the erneum, but alas I cannot find any pudding moulds here. So I will try the first recipe! If, hopefully, it turns out well, I will take a picture.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
I made Enkhytoi (Roman Honey Cake) and it was awesome! If your a honey lover I highly suggest you try this recipe, it's was easy to make. I wish I could take credit for the researching this recipe but I found it on Celtnet recipes. I have taken the liberty of translating to US measurments also. It says use clear honey but I used regular honey and it still turned out great. If you like larger portions it serves about 4, normal about 6 I think. Enjoy!

Enkhytoi:

Ingredients
3 eggs, separated
200g(7oz) clear honey
50g(1/2 Cup) white flour
60ml(2oz) clear honey to serve

Method:
Beat the egg whites together loosely then continue to beat until they form stiff peaks. Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks and honey together until creamy. Fold the egg yolk and honey mixture into the stiff egg whites using a spatula or large spoon. Once the egg yolk and honey mixture has been incorporated, add the flour and fold gently into the aerated eggs. Spoon the resulting mixture into an earthenware (eg casserole) dish and place into an oven pre-heated to 170°C(325°F)for twenty minutes then reduce the temperature to 150°C(300°F)and cook for a further 30 minutes, or until the top is nicely crisp.

Remove from the oven, prick the cake then pour 60ml(2oz) of honey into a pan. Heat this until liquid and pour over the cake. Serve immediately.

Warning Its kind of like a souffle so dont let your oven door close to hard.

Im not exactly sure of the authenticity of the recipe, but it is delicious.
Mike Young
<Always remember that there is always someone with a
bigger and better army who wants to be Emperor>
Has anyone found a way to get the cake more 'fluffy'? Mine turns into a honey fudge and I have tried cooking at at higher temperatures, for longer, etc I have certainly mixed is requested but Im not sure if the dish is meant to be more cake like
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
Damian,
Mine came out cake like using this recipe, The trick is to use a whisk and fluff whites up until they are stiff and really fluffy almost like meringue. Then add the flour slowly while stiring it in.

(I cant believe I used the word fluffy on RAT)
Mike Young
Ahh wait, I never did separate the egg yolks, does this make a significant difference?
Huge difference the eggs whites wont set (fluff) right if not separated. fluffing the eggs whites is what makes the difference between being like a cake or a custard/pudding like substance.
Mike Young
Aha! Septimius thank you! I didnt know it would be that dramatic, I shall report soon with finding and probably thanks!
I did this recipe again for New Years for some guest and it was a big hit. The key is the Separation of the eggs and to whip the whites until they are really stiff. I hand whiped them, but they can be done with an electric hand beater untill they are so stiff that they stick to the beaters like cookie dough. Once the cake is done immediately poke holes in the cake with a tooth pick or something thin and pour the liquidfied honey over the top. it's great!
Mike Young
One of my favourite discussions on RAT!! :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  honey cakes Musivarius 3 3,156 07-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Anonymous