Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maxfield (Military Decorations)
Does Maxfield mention how the Lauresfort Phalerae were made or what the materials involved were?

Were the relief figures pure silver wrapped around copper alloy discs where the leather straps would go through, or were the relief figures made of silvered copper alloy?

Does Maxfield address this issue

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Certainly cavalry harness phalerae have these types of fittings for the leathing.. It wouldn't surprise me if the Lauersfort phalerae had something similar. Erik Konig has made reproductions. there may be some clue in the photos on his website.

[Image: 4681.jpg]
Quote:Does Maxfield mention how the Lauresfort Phalerae were made or what the materials involved were?

Were the relief figures pure silver wrapped around copper alloy discs where the leather straps would go through, or were the relief figures made of silvered copper alloy?

Does Maxfield address this issue

Thanks

Paolo

She states: "They are made of silver-plated bronze and are in very high relief; the design and execution are classical and are of a very high standard of workmanship. The decorated plates are folded over flat bronze backing-plates on each of which is punched the name Medamus, presumably the owner of the set, the name being given in the genitive case.

On just one piece another name, that of T. Flavius Festus is punched on the face: the significance of this is unclear. To each of the backing plates are attached three small loops which must have served to fasten the pieces to the leather harness: the loops could have slipped through eyelets in the straps and been secured on the inside by split pins. Alternatively, they could have been sewn to the straps."

In discussing the Newstead phalerae, she states: "The size of these bronze plates varies between a maximum of 115mm in diameter and a minimum of 86mm. This compares closely with the Lauersfort pieces which average 108mm and vary from 105mm to 110mm."
C. Apollonius Priscus/Alan Homola
That would be exactly like the backing plates in Edinburgh then!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
So they sandwhich the leather strap then? how are they attached?

Legion: TBD
Priscus,

Thanks for the info. Sorry I did not get back to you earlier.

Interestingly, I was e-mailed a short paragraph just this morning on the Lauresfort by Brian Stobbs. He claims that the paper he obtained from Berlin states that they were made of silver with a bronze backing.

This is getting all very confusing. However, their original home, if I am not mistaken was Berlin. I believe they were here first and this is where all the work was done on them and the first paper written.

Again this is what I was told. I am not sure.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:So they sandwhich the leather strap then? how are they attached?

The illustration in the book shows two possible methods: The first type of disc has several loops that stick straight out from the backing plate. The loops go through holes punched in the leather straps and are secured by essentially an oddly shaped cotter pin - sort of like an "omega". The second method indicates that rivets come out from the backing plate, pass through the leather straps and a bronze washer and are riveted.
Quote:Priscus,

Thanks for the info. Sorry I did not get back to you earlier.

Interestingly, I was e-mailed a short paragraph just this morning on the Lauresfort by Brian Stobbs. He claims that the paper he obtained from Berlin states that they were made of silver with a bronze backing.

This is getting all very confusing. However, their original home, if I am not mistaken was Berlin. I believe they were here first and this is where all the work was done on them and the first paper written.

Again this is what I was told. I am not sure.

Paolo

Some of these publications may hold the answer you seek:

JAHN,O. - Die Lauersforter Phalerae. Fest-Programm zu Winckelmanns Geburtstage am 9 December 1860

MATZ, FRIEDRICH - Die Lauersforter Phalerae. Mit 5 Tafeln und 14 Textabb.

Hammering Techniques in Greek and Roman Jewellery and Toreutics ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/9004121501 ) Scary price!
here you have some info on the Lauersforter Phalerae

[url:33stv8h4]http://www.curlesnewstead.org.uk/176.htm[/url]

Cheers

Luc
LVCIVS VVLPES
Luc De Vos
this look also very interesting, if some one can translate the page ?? :wink:

[url:230ysmvd]http://ancientrome.ru/publik/kolobov/kolob07.htm[/url]

Cheers

Luc
LVCIVS VVLPES
Luc De Vos
Not the Lauersfort Phalerae, but a similar disk. Very clearly shows the high relief and construction method - although I have to admit I'm not sure the backing plate is original!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Where's this one from, Jasper?

Mike T.
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
It's from...wait for it...Lauersfort! Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Military Decorations! Spedius 12 3,915 04-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Spedius