Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Nicholas - 6 December
Quote:[Image: s10.gif]
Bishop (Saint) Nicholas © Clipart.comSt. Nicholas Day is December 6. St. Nicholas is a legendary figure connected with Christmas gift-givers like Santa Klaus. He is thought to have lived in the...

Read more...

Source: About.com Ancient / Classical History
[size=75:3fxvc7qg]Get the latest headlines from the About.com Ancient / Classical History GuideSite.[/size]

Ahem.

Being Dutch and a pious believer in the miraculous works of Saint Nicholas of Myra, I am of course deeply disappointed in this reference, which in the end turns out to be a link to the Wikipedia. I think that this article is better.

(Yes, I wrote that myself. But why should I be modest? Anything is always better than the Wiki.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Well in the orthodox church they agree about the origins and his name day but he is considered the patron saint of the mariners and protector of the Hellenic Navy. (Must be could in the job our Navy have never trully suffered defeat.)

Kind regards
Quote:he is considered the patron saint of the mariners
Also in western Europe. Many ports have a church for Saint Nicholas.

On a related note: New York's Greek-Orthodox Saint Nicholas Church was close to the World Trade Center and was destroyed on 9/11.
Jona Lendering
My website
In the part of Spain where I live, in some villages, the 6th of Dicember, still 30 years ago, one child was chosen "little bishop" and the children will go house by house asking for food and pocket money.

Usually that was done only in the places were St. Nicolás de Bari had devotion.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:In the part of Spain where I live, in some villages, the 6th of Dicember, still 30 years ago, one child was chosen "little bishop" and the children will go house by house asking for food and pocket money.

Usually that was done only in the places were St. Nicolás de Bari had devotion.
We have a similar custom on 11 November, Saint Martin of Tours. It's actually a bit confusing, to have three festivals on which we give presents (11 November, Saint Martin; 6 December, Saint Nicholas; 25 December, Father Christmas), but I always like the general atmosphere. And in the final analysis, there is a message that I like: that people should give things without expecting someting in return - the three bearded men show how to do it.

Here are two photos of this year's Sinterklaas in Amsterdam. Here's the good saint himself, seated on his white horse:

[Image: sinterklaas4.JPG]
Watch the symbol on his mitre: not one, but three crosses - one of the heraldic symbols of Amsterdam.

And the next photo needs no explanation.

[Image: publiek.JPG]
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:
hoplite14gr:1ync4phy Wrote:he is considered the patron saint of the mariners
Also in western Europe. Many ports have a church for Saint Nicholas.

Never thought about that but when looking at the map I realized that even here in my hometown Hamburg the St. Nikolai church is close to the port. But it's not in service anylonger because it got bombed during WW2 and the ruins were left there as a memorial.
Quote:Watch the symbol on his mitre: not one, but three crosses - one of the heraldic symbols of Amsterdam.
Lol, never seen before that St-Nicolas has the heraldic symbols of a city on his mitre. Tongue (He, btw I live in Sint-Niklaas in Belgium.)
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:Lol, never seen before that St-Nicolas has the heraldic symbols of a city on his mitre. Tongue (He, btw I live in Sint-Niklaas in Belgium.)

If I recall correct there is a maritime tradition in Flanders from the middle medieval period.

Kind regards