Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cranford on BBC1
Has anyone else been watching Cranford on Sunday nights? It's awesome, and it was great to see that dire "reality" TV show on ITV knocked off the top slot.

One of the best TV shows I've seen. Beautifully made: http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/cranford/
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Christy watches it. I had to miss it yesterday, final corrections on AW4!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper doesn't seem to appreciate the appeal of English costume drama... whereas I grew up on the stuff. My parents claim that when I was very little I always called them "mother" and "father" and thought all money came in pounds, as a result of its strong influence.
-Christy Beall
One reason I'm loving it so much is apparently the author of the book, Elizabeth Gaskell, was a fervent 19th-C progressive, which isn't forced down your throat but insinuates itself subtly through the series. These are pretty much real people in a real town (based on Knutsford in Cheshire), as the book is more like a series of episodes that illustrated the changes of the mid-19th-C that England was going through. The TV version also adds elements from her other books, which isn't a bad thing I think.

Miss Matty's story last night - flippin' 'eck. Sad
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes, I was curious last night and read a bit about her yesterday as well. I'm pretty sure I saw one of her other novels, Wives and Daughters, when the BBC did a production of it a few years ago. I'm really liking the tone so far as well-- I see how she was friends with Dickens.
-Christy Beall
I've been watching it, really good so far, didn't watch last nights episode properly, so I'm a little behind. I see the doctor is the same guy who plays Augustus in "Rome".
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Good for you Jim for bringing this lovely series to everyone's attention.
It is great (and indeed a nice mix of pathos and humour) isn't it.
Lochinvar/Ewan Carmichael
Too bad we don't get it here in Canada! Sad

I enjoy these type of British costume dramas and it looks really good. I shall have to wait for DVD.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:Too bad we don't get it here in Canada! Sad

I enjoy these type of British costume dramas and it looks really good. I shall have to wait for DVD.
Not sure if it'll be released on Region 1, but I imagine it will. Released here early January at Amazon on DVD.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Most of the big British tv productions do, but it takes a long time! I'm hoping maybe PBS will pick it up, then us N. Americans will be able to see it sooner. Smile
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

I saw that it was a WGBH Boston co-production, which means it will almost certainly get an American TV release on PBS (which usually means Masterpiece Theater). Whether or not your local public tv has the funds or interest to show it... well that's a whole other matter. :?
-Christy Beall
If ratings here in the UK count, I'd imagine the interest will be there.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I saw that it was a WGBH Boston co-production, which means it will almost certainly get an American TV release on PBS (which usually means Masterpiece Theater).

Yes, that's exactly what I was hoping for Christy! Tongue Most of the British dramas I have seen were on Masterpiece Theatre. By the way if you enjoy Wives & Daughters, I think you will really like The Forsythe Saga -- it stars Ioan Gruffydd.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Quote:Yes, that's exactly what I was hoping for Christy! Tongue Most of the British dramas I have seen were on Masterpiece Theatre. By the way if you enjoy Wives & Daughters, I think you will really like The Forsythe Saga -- it stars Ioan Gruffydd.

I've seen that one too. :wink: The Forsythe Saga is a goodie and Ioan Gruffydd is a hottie... it's just a shame he really isn't in it very long. Cry
-Christy Beall
Blinking heck, that was a cracking episode!
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!