Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bronze figure - soldier - the armour?
Came across this in the collection of the Walters Museum in Baltimore, after Vorti posted a collection of Flickr photos.

Anyone else think he's wearing a montefortino or coolus, and some type of lamellar?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4412432468 ... tasdotnet/

[Image: 1246412_2c80c2df4b.jpg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Or some kind of linothorax with decorative bands or something? Maybe the lines and braid are supposed to be paint patterns or something.

Legion: TBD
Actually a linothorax is a good suggestion, and the detail doesn't even need to be painted. Could be scales or plates on the cuirass.

I think it's a really interesting representation.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
To me it looks very much like this Etruscan statue which both have short pteruges.

I mentioned it in this older thread and asked if it was lamellar but some people mentioned the counter possibility that it was a linothorax based on color wall paintings which depict similar looking armor painted in white.

Peter Connolly wrote in his book that he interpreted it as lamellar but he may have revised his assessment since the time he published it all those years ago.

~Theo
Jaime
Beat me to it Theo !!

I posted on the other thread that it looks more typically Etruscan to me, and wondered why it was identified as "Roman".......... we'd need to know the context, and evn then, given Rome's fascination with all things Etruscan, it could be a 'collectors piece'.......I very strongly doubt it is 'Roman'. :? ?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
The helmet also looks Etruscan. I have held an actual bronze Etruscan helmet (which is incredibly heavy !) and it looks very similar to the Roman Montefortino with it's knob.

Quote:Beat me to it Theo !!

I posted on the other thread that it looks more typically Etruscan to me, and wondered why it was identified as "Roman".......... we'd need to know the context, and evn then, given Rome's fascination with all things Etruscan, it could be a 'collectors piece'.......I very strongly doubt it is 'Roman'.

Yes, I saw that too. GMTA Smile

And I agree with your assessment.

~Theo
Jaime
Be interesting to find out more still. I might contact the museum. It's sometimes easy to pigeonhole something and forget about it :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
There are several other figurines of Italic warriors from the 4th to the 2nd C. BC which are very similar to this one, but I've never seen the Etruscan cuirass on one before. Mostly they carry scuta and wear Montefortino helmets, and I think many of them are from Samnite contexts.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Given the position of the figure's left hand, it looks like he was holding something since lost. Could have been a scutum or pilum/hasta?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Some sort of spear I would imagine. His hand guesture intrigues me..I wonder if it was just a pose, or if there was a story behind the figure.... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technological studies on Bronze Age metal body armour Steven James 0 893 12-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Men of Bronze: Experimental approaches to the first body armour in the Aegean and Eur Steven James 0 1,048 09-25-2016, 05:59 AM
Last Post: Steven James
  Sequel to Arms and Armour Imperial Roman soldier?? gainward20000 2 1,659 05-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Last Post: gainward20000