• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pugio whit ceselled scabbard??
Thanks for the measurements Luc Big Grin

That is quite a substantial blade.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Yeah! 8) I like it! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I would like to point out that where Crispvs has mentioned chased, this has nothing to do with figures in relief. Any figure in relief is known as Repousse', where to chase is to engrave as he mentions with chisels. These are clearly two different techniques or styles of decoration, they should not be linked together with the word chased as this can become misleading.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:I would like to point out that where Crispvs has mentioned chased, this has nothing to do with figures in relief. Any figure in relief is known as Repousse', where to chase is to engrave as he mentions with chisels. These are clearly two different techniques or styles of decoration, they should not be linked together with the word chased as this can become misleading.

This is quite subjective. Repoussé is a term mostly used by art historians over here. In dutch profesional smiths use the term 'ciseleren' when they mean repoussé and 'engrave' when chisels are used. To my knowledge 'ciseleren' in dutch is the same as to chase...

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Not to my knowledge....in English anyway....
chase v(-sing)emboss or engrave (metal)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The dictionary definition to raise figures in relief is Repousse', where one hammers the figures at the reverse side of the metal. The term chase comes from Enchase, which is to engrave metal with cutting tools or chisels, two clearly differing types of workindeed.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pugio & Scabbard 1st attempt Charlie 31 6,837 01-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Last Post: marcos
  guttman gladius whit pugio munazio planco 7 2,340 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Last Post: munazio planco
  question about pugio scabbard munazio planco 5 2,013 05-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius