Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny Question about Caligae
Quote:Caligae are pretty adjustable, and if you get them adjusted to your foot, they are very comfortable. I think if you were in very sandy terrain, the sand might be a problem, rubbing the foot between the leather and skin, but that would be true for just about any kind of shoe, including modern military boots.

I think the gaps in the caligae actually allowed sand to fall out, potentially minimizing that problem, but I could be wrong. certainly gets rid og stones anyway Smile 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That's true, Julius, no doubt about it. But it only takes a couple of grains of sand stuck to a leather-against-the-skin to cause a blister. I'd think the thinner the straps of the caligae, the better for that. But I live in Texas, where even some of the grass attacks with sawtooth edges. The temptation is to put more leather over the feet. Let's not even talk about cactus and caligae. The barbed spines have a nasty tendency to break off just at the skin level, leaving a couple of mm of sticker inside. Cry Confusedhock:
[Image: prickly-pear-cactus.jpg]
Nevertheless, my next pair (to be begun in the next week or so) will be a lot less leather and a lot more space between the strips. Seems to be more common, and with socks...there, back on topic...it will be fine, even in cool weather. Not that we get that much of that down here. I think it froze twice last winter, but it might have been only once. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Strangeely, that was my thinking too, when I asked for thicker leather straps...

Seems i was wrong :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Yup. Socks (udones), both knitted (naalbinding although some dispute that method) and sewn versions have been found. I'm very sure there are depictions that show them as well. I've got two pairs. There are also letters home asking for pairs to be sent.

I would love to see any proof of knitted or naalbinding material used in the first century.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:Nevertheless, my next pair (to be begun in the next week or so) will be a lot less leather and a lot more space between the strips.
8-9 oz leather seems to be a good choice. I just started another pair for a friend.

[url:2d9519xs]http://www.geocities.com/legio_tricesima_cohors_tres/campusMartis/MakingCaligae/MakingAuthenticCaligae.html[/url]
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Quote:
Tarbicus:c6hqu9z5 Wrote:Yup. Socks (udones), both knitted (naalbinding although some dispute that method)
I would love to see any proof of knitted or naalbinding material used in the first century.
Told you :wink:

According to here ( http://www.geocities.com/sigridkitty/history.html ):
The earliest known extent examples of nålbinding, if one is to include the buttonhole stitch versions, are from c 6500 BC. They were found in Nehal Hemar, a cave in the Judean desert, Israel.1 The next specimens are fragments found in Denmark from the Mesolithic era of the Stone Age (4,200 BC calibrated).2 Currently most Neolithic specimens are found in Denmark, although there are some fragments from the Lake Dwellings in Switzerland.3 However fabric remains from this period are extremely few so nålbinding's true extent is unknown. There are theories that, as nålbinding does not require continuous thread, but rather the exact opposite, and due to the great age of its early examples, it may, as a technique, precede the invention of continuous spinning, such as that done on a drop spindle or wheel.

Note that they list their sources at the bottom of the page.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
For clarification, the thickness I was referring to was the width of the straps, not the thickness of the uncut leather.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
lol, now I'd love to see any proof that Romans wore naalbinding material in the first century :lol:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
Sometimes blind faith is handy..... :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Blind faith. There we go Roman reenactment as a religion. Big Grin D shock:
Derek D. Estabrook
:? ? ?

whadda ya mean? It's not? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Julius,
Of course it is. There are even denominations...the red tunicate, and white tunicate, and (some say) heretical blue tunicates! These factions occasionally war amongst themselves, and there's rumors of some kind of Crusade in the works by one of them, to eradicate the followers of one of the others. Confusedhock:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Julius,
Of course it is. There are even denominations...the red tunicate, and white tunicate, and (some say) heretical blue tunicates! These factions occasionally war amongst themselves, and there's rumors of some kind of Crusade in the works by one of them, to eradicate the followers of one of the others. Confusedhock:

After the Crusade when everyone's tunic is turned black from the blood sweat, rust and filth of the brutal campaign, the survivors can all pretend to be the Praetorians from Gladiator.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
back to the point.

If there is no PROOF that the Romans did it, the "common sense" and "they could'a, should'a done it" are the difference between playing SCA and recreating and reenacting. You have proof that you can make socks from woven materials, and that they were worn in 1st and 2nd century, why would you want to wear knitted or naalbinded socks instead?

Sure the Romans had the ingredients for gunpowder, and the Chinese made gunpowder rockets from the same stuff, so then the Romans had gunpowder rockets, but we just haven't found it yet...... :roll: :? evil:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
Quote:Sure the Romans had the ingredients for gunpowder, and the Chinese made gunpowder rockets from the same stuff, so then the Romans had gunpowder rockets, but we just haven't found it yet...... :roll: :? evil:
That's not a fair comparison. The Chinese never showed the Romans how to use the ingredients and make gunpowder. In fact, it's pretty sure the Romans never even saw gunpowder made up, let alone explode, so they wouldn't even ask.

Are you suggesting that the Romans never saw naalbinded socks until late on in Egypt, or even how they were made?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!