Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny Question about Caligae
In HBOs Rome series, I sometimes see legionaries wearing what look like another shoe (or what could be woolen socks perhaps?) inside their caligae. Is that historically accurate?

I just wonder because I see paintings and statues with just the caligae, and I'm thinking how uncomfortable that is, and then fighting in them as well! ... I have a pair of modern, leather sandals and no matter how much I wear then, the leather always cuts into my feet ... and there's no way I could run in them.

So I'm thinking soldiers must have worn something protective on their feet, especially if they were in colder country (or maybe I'm just a soft girl who can't wear shoes properly).

:?: Anyway, what is correct ... just caligae, or another piece of protective footwear?
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Yup. Socks (udones), both knitted (naalbinding although some dispute that method) and sewn versions have been found. I'm very sure there are depictions that show them as well. I've got two pairs. There are also letters home asking for pairs to be sent.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes, your right Jim, there are depictions of them...just don't ask me where :oops:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, my usual rule of thumb is to assume that EVERYTHING seen in the movies or TV "historical" fiction is wrong, and work from there. That said, yes, socks or simple foot wraps are great things. On the other hand, you might have a particularly nasty pair of sandals, because most folks I know, including myself, have worn caligae for several days straight with no problems. So socks are an option, but not a necessity for most people.

Socks with open toes and heels are shown on one of the Praetorians in the Cancelleria relief. It would be neat to know what color they were originally! A couple other statuettes or reliefs also show them.

Valete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
This is the one I was thinking of: the Darlington leg fragment:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/4563337.stm

[Image: _41163867_romansocklong.jpg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
You'd be surprised how comfortable caligae can be. The leather on mine is very soft and pliable. Even after a very long march the only problem I had was with the nails coming up into the sole. If the originals were anything like mine, and were probably better, then no problem.
Also look at the thread by Martin Moser on how thin the straps were.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
You can see praetorians wearing udones inside their caligae on the Cancelleria relief!
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Sharon wrote:
Quote:I just wonder because I see paintings and statues with just the caligae, and I'm thinking how uncomfortable that is,

Hello Sharon.
They might be uncomforatble for us but it should also be borne in mind that many ancient warriors also fought bare foot! Even in modern times some soldiers fought with out boots, either due to supply problems or for traditional reasons.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thank you gentlemen! Ha! I'm now convinced I own a terrible pair of sandals -- good thing they were a gift and I didn't have to pay for 'em. And I suppose you can't really make a comparison between a modern shoe and something the ancients wore (none of this factory-made crap)! The ancients got it right!

Quote: Also look at the thread by Martin Moser on how thin the straps were.
The king of leather-crafting himself! I wouldn't mind trying to make a pair. I’ll definitely do a search for that thread.

Quote: There are also letters home asking for pairs to be sent.

Jim, to me that is really interesting! At what era were these letters and where were they found?
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Hello Sharon
Jim is talking about the Vindolanda writing tablets. Some of them are available online at
www.vindolanda.csad.ox.uk

However almost any publication dealing with Vindolanda will mention the tablet about the socks. Actually a personal letter from a soldier thanking his family for gifts including socks and underpants.

Vindolanda was a fort built before Hadrian's Wall at the end of the first century AD. However it was rebuilt several times over the years eventually in the early third century in stone. The documents come from the early phase when there was a timber fort.

Nevertheless in spite of the discovery of hundreds of leather boots and shoes no classic caligae have ever been found there. Instead there are different types of cut out designs and enclosed boots.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Caligae are pretty adjustable, and if you get them adjusted to your foot, they are very comfortable. I think if you were in very sandy terrain, the sand might be a problem, rubbing the foot between the leather and skin, but that would be true for just about any kind of shoe, including modern military boots.

Socks (mine are the sewn variety) are a big help in cold weather, and do make for a nicer feel for modern feet. If you can sew, you can make them from wool scraps left over from some other project. I don't think there's any particular restriction on color there. I'm thinking of causing a stir and using some plaid from a barbarian tunic. Call me a rebel.

If you want to sew some, and need instruction, pm me, and I'll tell you how I did it. 3 pieces per sock.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Very true about ancients having tough feet. There is a tendency in the modern day to baby our feet, but in the past unless you came from an extremely well spending, wealthy family you were barefoot until your foot reached its proper growth or made do with simple wrappings. It makes little sense to spend lots of money and effort to make shoes for someone that will outgrow it in a few months or has yet to earn their keep in the household. Hey, I went barefoot most of my childhood and it wasn't because my parents were too cheap either. I have tough feet and don't like shoes with cushion. I prefer when the padding wears out and I can flex my feet more within the shoes. Toughened feet rarely get callouses and I find when I do they are usually underneath many tough layers of skin rather than on the surface like when your feet are soft.
Derek D. Estabrook
Thanks for the info about Vindolanda Graham. The link didn't work but I found www.vindolanda.com instead. Smile

Quote: I'm thinking of causing a stir and using some plaid from a barbarian tunic. Call me a rebel.

:lol: Yeah, do it! And thanks for the offer of the pattern. i'll try sewing some after the holidays, when my local fabric store should have some remnant for cheap ... hopefully they will have some wool ones.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Quote:Thanks for the info about Vindolanda Graham. The link didn't work

Graham forgot the "ac" - try http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/ ...
...and you needn't necessarily give up on your existing sandals either,Sharon, assuming they are leather.....with a little work they can be adjusted to become comfortable....here's a tip that modern soldiers still use with ill-fitting Military boots.

Soak your leather sandals in a bucket of water (warm works faster) overnight until they are thoroughly soaked....wear them around the house for a few hours/all day until they are dried out ( they will shrink around your feet to fit exactly)....take them off to dry completely...stuffing with newspaper helps....when dry, they will be 'hard'....to restore softness, work well with 'Dubbin', neatsfoot oil, saddle soap or similar......tah,dah ! soft flexible sandals that fit your feet perfectly ! Smile D
tip: helps if the sole is the right size to begin with ! :wink:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff