Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Naval Ship in 54mm Scale
Fans of the Roman Navy might want to check out this link to Conte Collectibles and their new offering -- a Roman galley in 1/32nd (54mm) scale.

http://contecostore.com/roman_ship.html

One word or warning -- as with many Conte items this is based upon a Hollywood film, in this case Ben Hur. (Sorry Jasper :oops: )

This company prides itself on being faithful to the film which in the case of Zulu or The Longest Day results in some impressive looking toy soldiers.

However, in the case of Hollywood Romans...well, see for yourself. It is impressive work if misguided.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:It is impressive work if misguided.
It's exactly that! :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
?They might have trouble turning that mast with the "castle" so close, don't you think?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Confusedhock: WOW! That is impressive. Too bad it's incorrect. Sad

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
Is there any accurate model on the market?
Andre P
looks great though quite pricy
Patrick Van Calck
The company that offers this ship is having a Buy One & Get One Free sale. Not sure that applies to the Roman Ship itself but it does to most other items in their various ranges -- might be of interest to some...

http://www.conteco.com/

January 16, 2008

Attention Collectors!!!! Our Best Special Ever!
We Desperately Need To Clear Some Room In The Warehouse Sale!!!!
Buy 1 Get 1 Free......Yes, We Said Buy 1 Get 1 Free

Dear Conte Collector,

We have received shipping dates for the massive Roman War Galleys, the Medieval Cog, another 2000 or so VA sets, 2500 AG sets and several 40 ' long containers of plastic Spartans. These deliveries along with our usual smaller deliveries are going to overcrowd our warehouse to the point where we won't be able to move. In the past, we've rented storage units when we have had this problem, but we all know what a nightmare that turns out to be.......instead of giving $$ to the storage company and truck rentals & spending on employees running back & forth to the units, I've decided to pass the savings directly on to the collector..... In an effort to 'make room' we are announcing this unprecedented 'sale'.

The sale is limited to items 'on hand' and in the warehouse as of today (duh!) and will run until I hear that we have the room we need (meaning it will be discontinued as soon as I think we have the room we need!) No other discounts or specials may be combined with the buy 1 get 1 free sale. You must pay shipping on both the paid for and the free set. The free set must be equal to or lesser in price than the paid for set. You can buy as many sets as you want & keep repeating the special.

Figure sets from the following items/ranges are included in the sale:

---ALL Plastic Figure Sets
---ALL Painted Pewter Sets From The Following Ranges:
---Valhalla Awaits
---Roman (SPQR & SPA, Barbarian, etc.)
---Revolutionary War (all ranges including Patriot)
---American Civil War (all ranges)
---WW2
---Pirates
---Medieval
---CCC figures
---Alamo
---Roger's Rangers
---Valhalla Awaits
---Ancient Greece/ Spartans

NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO STOCK UP!!!!

In Addition, ALL Playsets Are Discounted 25% as these take up so much room. Spartan sets are not included with this offer.

Quantities are limited for some items and no rain checks or back-orders will be given at these special prices.

Thank you !

Hail Sal the warehouse manager who needs the space!!
RC

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
As always, I mention, "Would it really be any more trouble for a manufacturer to set up a *correct* master instead of an incorrect one?"

I'm not a helmet maker, but it looks to me that the new Deepeeka Gallic A is no harder to manufacture than a Trooper, you know? Even though it's incorrect in a dozen major ways, the Trooper still sells for less than the accurate helmets. Why is that? Oh, well, back under my rock I go.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Oh, a MUST HAVE!! :wink:

[Image: shewolfok23.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:?They might have trouble turning that mast with the "castle" so close, don't you think?

Not at all! The mast will turn with the rest of the ship as it capsizes due to the fo'castle and stern unbalancing it .....oh I see what you mean now! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
No, they just raise the sail, take a posca break, turn the mast, lower the sail, sweep up the cookie crumbs, return the cups to the rack, and proceed. Now that wasn't hard, was it?
:lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:As always, I mention, "Would it really be any more trouble for a manufacturer to set up a *correct* master instead of an incorrect one?"

Quite right. Their argument is that they are staying faithful to the film, historical facts not withstanding. You know the old Hollywood line: Based Upon A True Story (just with more explosions).

In fact is was the Conte toy site that first brought me here to RAT looking for answers to the question of just who wore lion skins and who wore bear, and if the Roman army really used drums (as the Conte figures, faithfully following Spartacus) depicted.

No one can doubt the quality of their work, but one wishes they were more faithful to history. Actually, their Immortals look more accurate than those in the film "300" but that's another story... :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Damn sure I spotted cavalry with stirrups!
Guy
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

[size=100:2nyk19du]The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. [/size]
Thucydides (471 BC - 400 BC)
Playmobil is more accurate these days than hollywood Big Grin D D
Patrick Van Calck
Reckon my old Heller Galley still looks OK , scale would suit 20mm figure 8) [Image: icr0y1.jpg] [Image: sflais.jpg]
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Camps n 54mm Scale Narukami 2 2,296 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Narukami
  54mm Late Roman? Lvcivs Commodvs Cicero 8 3,176 01-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Last Post: Lvcivs Commodvs Cicero
  54mm Scale Manufacturer\'s Comparisons sulla felix 6 2,591 02-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis