Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica ans scutum (scutii??)
Quote:only one shield of this type has been found and that had rawhide edging and is dated to the 3rd century (Dura Europos). We have quite a few finds of cupric alloy edging suggesting 90 degree corners.

Actually there are two from Dura Europos- one complete and one corner section. I'm curious about the 90-degree corners though Ade- I've seen plenty of angled ones suggesting the curved-sided 'Augustan' but I've never seen a single example of a true 90-degree corner- know where I might find one? Not that I doubt they existed since they clearly did, I'm just interested to see that kind of corner binding :wink:

As for the issue of shield use offensively, I can add one interesting thing- I've examined examples of edge binding and a fragment of a square copper alloy umbo and BOTH were on the order of just 0.5mm thick (as compared visually with samples of 0.3, 0.5, and 0.8mm thick brass I had on hand), which certainly to my mind throws some doubt on the idea of the use of the umbo as a means of punching and knocking an opponent off-balance, as well the edge being less-likely to be normally to attack since that's truly the most vulnerable part of a laminated shield. Both are reasonable in the heat of battle, but as part of a standard action? I don't see it myself...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
But there's a specific reference in the primary sources to the umbo being used to punch with. Can't think who said it off the top of my head - Polybius, or one of them.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:which certainly to my mind throws some doubt on the idea of the use of the umbo as a means of punching and knocking an opponent off-balance
If you can't even punch an opponent with the umbo, what is the use of it as protection for your hand? Surely a direct hit with a solid object (sword, spear) on the umbo is harder that an opponent's face! Confusedhock:
Are you saying they were so thin that they had only decorative purpose?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Here Tacitus and Liuius go:

Tacitus, Annales - XIV-36

Conferti tantum et pilis emissis post umbonibus et gladiis stragem caedemque continuarent, praedae immemores: parta victoria cuncta ipsis cessura.

Only close up the ranks, and having discharged your javelins, then with shields and swords continue the work of bloodshed and destruction, without a thought of plunder. When once the victory has been won, everything will be in your power.

Liuius, AUC XXX-34

Igitur primo impetu extemplo mouere loco hostium aciem Romani. ala deinde et umbonibus pulsantes in summotos gradu inlato aliquantum spatii uelut nullo resistente incessere, urgentibus et nouissimis primos ut semel motam aciem sensere, quod ipsum uim magnam ad pellendum hostem addebat.

Accordingly, on the first charge, the Romans immediately drove back the line of their opponents; then pushing them with their elbows and the bosses of their shields, and pressing forward into the places from which they had pushed them, they advanced a considerable space, as though there had been no one to resist them, those who formed the rear urging forward those in front when they perceived the line of the enemy giving way; which circumstance itself gave great additional force in repelling them.

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Not sure if there were any 90 deg edging remains in Edinburgh, will check my pics Matt. Will go there again to retake pics after Xmas too.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yeah, but pushing ain't punching and no, of course I wasn't suggesting they're just decorative, but taking a blow and inflicting one yourself are two different things. A LOT of Roman armor was on the order of 0.5mm thick- the little breastplates, squamata scales, manica lames- and at least some umbones. Some might be thicker, but this one, which there's no reason to believe is particularly odd, was as I described so was clearly considered sufficient.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!