Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
losing a reply to a post
I'm a little vexed.

Reading a post (Caratacus on the tombstone of Caelius) I logged in to write a reply. I wrote a long reply, looked up several references, and after a half hour I pushed the submit button... and to my estonishment I was asked to log in again and I lost my whole reply. I was really pissed about it.

Has anyone encountered the same problem? What the heck did I do wrong?

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Hi Hans,
Sorry about the annoyance.
It's probably the half hour. The system logs you in for a limited-time session. That ensures that if you check and leave the site, it doesn't show you as online anymore. If you do not do anything on the site (click a link, push a button), the timer runs down and eventually your session will expire. That should be after 3600 seconds however, so there may be something else going on, namely the session/cookie on your computer may have expired.

Whatever the reason, if you're going to write a long reply / the reply is going to take a long time to write, it's best to do that in Notepad or somesuch.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yep. Notepad or Word (so you can spell check) then cut and paste. Much simpler in the long run, but once Idea when the same thing happened to me, I just pressed the "back" button twice, and there was the text, conveniently cached on my own PC. I was glad of that. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Oh bummer

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Not sure about your computer situation, but could you try the "log me in automatically" feature?
I can't use it because I'm usually on from work, where we share computers, but from home I have it.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Reply and PM Notifications Renatus 29 21,553 09-29-2016, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Crispianus