Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz Galdius and Baldric
Can a Mainz Galdius be worn with a baldric.

To my knowledge there is no sculptural evidence suggesting this. However, if the Mainz Gladii were still in service in the mid first century or later, then a baldric could have been used since the double belt idea was theoretically phased out by the above time.

Although it stands to reason that what the tombstones suggest is that at some point there were two belts then one and then one with a baldric, I think it would have been a matter of personal taste; how do I want my galdius or pugio to be attached.

The gross assumptions made from sculpture are instances where certain individuals are depicted. I know what some of you are thinking which is that what I am suggesting is a hypothesis or a theory.

However, by profession I am a chemist and this sort of thing happens; an educated guess based on facts yields to possibilites that are in fact plausible.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Can a Mainz Galdius be worn with a baldric.

To my knowledge there is no sculptural evidence suggesting this. However, if the Mainz Gladii were still in service in the mid first century or later, then a baldric could have been used since the double belt idea was theoretically phased out by the above time.

Although it stands to reason that what the tombstones suggest is that at some point there were two belts then one and then one with a baldric, I think it would have been a matter of personal taste; how do I want my galdius or pugio to be attached.

Paolo

The two belt suspension method was still in use in the last quarter of the first century AD. Just look at the Herculaneum soldier.

Most people agree that it's easier to suspend your gladius by a shoulder baldric on a segmentata but on a hamata or a squamata you can wear the two belt system in the second half of the first century AD and be authentic.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Thanks for the reply Jef.

However, what belt plates do you suggest for this: narrow, as wide as the pompeii belt plates or something along the lines of emperor cornucopia or lupercale?

It appears that the narrow plates were not used in the later part of the
1st Century AD.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Thanks for the reply Jef.

However, what belt plates do you suggest for this: narrow, as wide as the pompeii belt plates or something along the lines of emperor cornucopia or lupercale?

It appears that the narrow plates were not used in the later part of the
1st Century AD.

Paolo

Both narrow and wide plates can be used if you choose the two belt method.

I think narrow plates were still in use in the 2nd half of the first century AD. Perhaps someone can give you some references of finds. I don't have acces to my books right now...

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be