Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Hadrian\'s Wall Units.
Hello,

I'm seeking any direction for info that can be substantiated on the last identifiable units (presumably irregulars?) stationed at Hadrians Wall working back from the turn of the 5th century to about 367 and the supposed barbarian encursions.
Is the data within the Notitia Dignitatum as far as one can go with a degree of reliability on this subject? :?: :?: :?: :?

Cheers,

Nick Deacon
Romanonick/Nick Deacon
Hi Nick,

The ND is regarded to be reliable enough up to c. 394 AD.
Additions that seem to have been made may be dated to c. 420 AD, but generally I think it's safe to say that 394 is the best date where British units are concerned.

What (and indeed, if any) changes were made after 367 we don't know, since it is not possible for us to tell when changes from earlier known units actually took place.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Is the data within the Notitia Dignitatum as far as one can go with a degree of reliability on this subject?
Remember that, to all intents and purposes, the Notitia Dignitatum preserves the final roll call along Hadrian's Wall. It ceased to be a "Roman" concern shortly after AD 400, when soldiers' pay stopped arriving.
I have no idea what was going on along Hadrian's Wall in the 5th C, because I haven't seen the latest Handbook to the Roman Wall yet (-- Santa, take note Smile ).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
It seems that germanic federates may have been stationnated near the wall in the Vth century. Fortress such as Carlisle were also kept in use by romano-british magnates.
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
Well, I'm not sure it is that relevant. It seems a little anachronistic. Take Housesteads fort; the ND states that the First Cohort of Tungrians is the garrison (from at least 200 AD onwards). From the end of the 3rd century an inscription mentions the Cuneus Frisiorum, a small, irregular cavalry force of Frisian tribesmen. By the fourth century a unit existed there called the Numerus Hnaudifridi.

Were these last two the same? Did they share the fort with the I Tungrian?
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
At Castlesteads/Camboglanna was found an inscribed stone thought to be of VIth century date.

For Vindolanda:
- eathern bank piled against the fort's wall, a possibility of post-roman fortification
- annular and pennanular brooch found inside the fort, possibly from the Vth or VIth century
- outside the fort an inscribed tombstone commemorating the death of Brigomaglos, dated of the V/VIth centuries.

For Housesteads:
- another earthen bank
- inside the fort 'Anglo-saxon' pottery and metalwork

At Chesters/Cilurnum, anglo-saxon annular brooch of the VIth or VIIth century.

At Corbridge and Benwell, anglo-saxon pottery and brooch.

At South Shields, a ditch dug circa 400, and gate replaced, aswell as a find of an 'anglo-saxon' spearhead.

Source: An Age of Tyrants, by Christopher Snyder, pages 168-170.

This is interpreted as a continuation of military occupation of the forts, with germanic warriors beeing hired. That would fit the theory of the use of foederati against pictish barbarians in the Vth century by post-roman british power.
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Borders folk may descend from Africans from Hadrian\'s Wall Robert Vermaat 30 9,356 10-26-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: John1
  Hadrian's Wall in 198AD JenniFletcher 2 1,200 09-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Last Post: JenniFletcher
  Units Based on Hadrians Wall felixgallus 4 2,179 07-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Last Post: felixgallus