Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sutton Hoo vs late roman
Thanks for that article Martijn!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Wish I could help you Chuck, but aside from Raymond most sources I know of are custom work and will probably end up much more accurate and prettier while cost you more. If Raymond doesn't have it I recommend you contact him since he is very available when it comes to custom work.

Thanks Martin. Very good article and much closer to ideas I was thinking of. Most people did not really think of the Byzantine sources in correlation, especially at the time of the find. Since then we've learned that Northern Europe was nowhere near as isolated as previously thought and this gets expanded on all the time. Personally I find that form of armour chest binding very plausible, though I think it possible that it could have bound a leather overgarment over the maille instead of a stiff leather breastplate. With the lack of material clinging to the clasps I am surprised that I've never heard anyone theorize that the clasps could have just been placed as ornamentation since they were detachable. Of course the nothing idea is probably the most boring.
Derek D. Estabrook
Hi,
I do realise that this is an old thread and the interest may have gone, but I have been working on the Sutton Hoo project for a long time and it is finally complete (almost). Dave Roper made most of the things in the attached pictures, although the sword is by Patrick Barta.
There were questions of how the belts worked and the buckles, if anyone is still interested, I can expalin further about these details and how we have made them work without adding or taking away any mechanisms.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Mortimer
Oops! I forgot to add the other pictures.
Paul Mortimer
Paul, I am stunned by this magnificent gear Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: !!!!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Good grief!! Confusedhock: (swear words aren't allowed on the forum!!) Fantastic stuff! Erm ... it's my birthday in June..... :lol:
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
I just fainted.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Show-off! Big Grin I wish I could go to Marle to see all that up close..
What next? A horse? A ship for future use? :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Many thanks for the kind words. If anyone wants to see anything in detail just ask.

Robert, Marle is a great place to spend your birthday, especially when you are as young as you are!

Paul
Paul Mortimer
Eala Redweald.

Wundorlice!

Ic eom gobsmacked.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
i think i shat my pants. Wink very nice
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Holy frick! Amazing work there! Any pictures of you wearing the kit?
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
I've seen this kit up close, and can honestly say it is awe-inspiring work!

David Roper is a genuine craftsman!

I will have to dig out the photos I have of it!
I think I have one!
Thank you for posting that picture Martin.
If anyone is in the vicinity of Sutton Hoo next Sunday, you can come and see all the bits, as they will be together in one ensemble for the first time - except for the shoulder clasps as I still have a bit of experimenting to do to create a suitable garment.

Paul
Paul Mortimer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sutton Hoo Caballo 5 1,711 05-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Celer
  Sutton Hoo caiusbeerquitius 2 1,474 04-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat