Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The English really are something!!!!!
Quote:Given a little better financial situation, which may happen soon, if I can land a particular job, or win the lottery--last week I got an email that said I'd won the European Lottery! All they wanted was my bank account number and they'd send the money right over! I replied and said, "Just PayPal the money to this email address", but I guess they didn't get that, because the PayPal account doesn't show it. Oh, well.
Oh dear - 419 fraud. http://www.419eater.com/html/419faq.htm

There are even people out there who bait them and waste their time. It can get quite nasty. One woman in Africa was raped and beaten to death.

However, it can also be hilarious where the baiters get the scammers to do all sorts of ridiculous things, including getting silly tattoos. and joining bogus churches that have some insane initiation rituals. Greed will make anyone do anything.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scam_baiting

David, here's one baiter's response which echoes yours, but with a sting in the tail.
http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok/Scams/Nigerian04.shtml
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
In a word, "Yikes!"

Wonder if the original sender has sent any more? It's way past October....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yeah, David, especially as it was October 2001........ :lol: :lol:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Yes indeed Jim... 419 eating is a dangerous thing if you dont adhere to the rules...

M.VIB.M.

but otherwise the site is a hilarious place to visit!

I wonder if in Roman times people got unsolicited wax-tablets by strangely named barristers from far away places telling them they inherited 3.000.000 sestertii!!!!!
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Hi Gioi,

Thanks for those lovely pictures of your family! You must be a proud father.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
It has taken a while, but here are some 'thumbnails' of our Roman Influenced ( not replica) Villa.....

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
And some more thumbnails...

Paul McDonnell-Staff
WOW!!!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Indeed - wow!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Thanks guys! The house was 20 years in the planning , design and building ( all done by us - me and my wife Maria ) - the major influences, as you can see, were the 'House of the Faun' and other villas from Pompeii, and the Pool layout ( it is not just decorative, but doubles as a swimming pool) is of course a mini-version of Hadrians villa at Tivoli.....on a much more modest scale - the colours are authentic too ( even the bright blue! ).
"Sean" actually was made in Pompeii from the original ( now in the Naples museo) ...getting him home from Pompeii as 'hand luggage' - he was too precious for the hold - was a real saga, since he is solid bronze....
I'm a little embarrassed to admit my Greek/Roman obsession so publicly... but if you like what you see, then I'm not so bad !!

Of course, there is a nice guest-room with views to the sea right beside that pool for any of you guys who might be inclined to visit 'Brizvegas a.k.a 'Godzone'.......... I have some more thumbnails if you are interested.....

Paul McDonnell-Staff
wish i was rich hahahahaha

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
We're not rich, Henk...just a normal family with both parents working and two teenagers.....but here in Queensland would be the cheapest place on the planet to do it....we certainly couldn't have afforded to build such a thing in any other country.

To buy the land, and then build the house you see, 10 years ago, cost less than AUS$ 500,000, U.S.$ 440,000, NLGuilder 660,000 then - borrowed from a bank, and the loan/mortgage repayments are not cheap at around 7% ( we have relatively high interest rates Sad ...oh, well, nothing's perfect, not even Godzone...)

But we manage......the point is, I guess, that such dreams are possible here, even for ordinary working people.....

Paul McDonnell-Staff
WOW!!!! well looking at the house itself, even a lot of years back.... in Holland it would be worth about 2.5 million Euros... current pricing.....

The Dutch have ridiculous high house prices... cuz the country is so small..

Even with a teacher's salary i would never be able to get something like that in this country, let alone be able to build it..

i love your villa!! and well i do understand what you mean!!

wow definetely a place to see one day!

best wishes,

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Henk/ M.VIB.M. wrote:-
Quote:wow definetely a place to see one day!
...and you would be more than welcome ! And I would welcome other RAT members too, even if we are half a planet away from most of you.... Smile D lol:

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Hi Gioi,

Fascinating story! At first I thought you were speaking about Corsica or Greece in the old days, then I realised this happened not too long ago? Confusedhock:

Quote:Things can be very bloody if we want to have our land back...but then its not worth it...the times of the vendettas is over
Not vendettas, no .. tried lawyers?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans