Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The English really are something!!!!!
look at this!!!!!

http://www.readersheds.co.uk/readershed ... RESHED=667

and then at this:

http://www.readersheds.co.uk/readershed ... ype=Unique

next thing you know someone will be making a garden Amfitheatrum Flavium!

brilliant!!

maybe thats why i like the English so bloody much and love their country more than my own!

M.VIB.M.

(PS i need someone in the UK to buy me a sh*tload of those paper or silk poppies so i can wear them every november !!! dunno where i can buy em in Holland)
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
There's many books about men and their sheds!

Not just the British either.. Australians are famous for their sheds too!
Adrian can you please explain this cultural difference to me?

Here :wink: this is usually called a shanty! from the Irish settlers sean tig.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:Adrian can you please explain this cultural difference to me?

We drink warm beer - the Aussies drink it cold![/code]
LOL Thank Adrian, but I meant the obsession with sheds. The average Urban Male in America is obsessed with lawnmowers and that sort of silliness.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
PAvLvS..........

slightly wrong there....

Wink

should be:

he average Urban Male in America is obsessed with GUNS and that sort of silliness........

LOL...

well i must say it is a dream of me to one day build a Roman house myself....

no dosh though........

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:average Urban Male in America is obsessed with GUNS and that sort of silliness........
Some Urban Males in America might take offense at remarks like that, y'know, and if they do and you're right...hmm.

But what do I know? I only lived here 55 years, mostly in the city.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hahahahahahaha just check out youtube..........

LOL

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Of course you're right because you couldn't be wrong in making generalized anti-American remarks. Lots of that going on these days, eh? Not all of us fit your narrow viewpoint, sir.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Many British Men view their shed as a sort of sanctuary, a refuge from the madness a place to fiddle and tinker with machines, and walk away leaving it in a mess 'to come back to later' without fear of reprisals!
Our house is reversed its my shed he cooks the cakes and uses food processors I have the power tools and tool box!

kind thoughts
Deb
Deborah Glennie
Member of the Vicus [url:jwqvknmp]http://www.vicus.org.uk/[/url]

[Image: S5000909.jpg]
Wow Deb, thats brilliant!!!

and to the American patriots who seem to be taking a joke too seriously i would like to say...

LIGHTEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR IvPPITER'S sake!

I am not going to make this shed discussion into a political one, and dont say I dont know the USA, a lot of my family lived there, and i have many US friends! both in the Military as well as people of all kinds of political preference...

that the world criticises the US is not my problem, nor my fault,

but the narrow viewpoint is in THIS case in the eye of the beholder........

mainly due to the impossibility to distinguish satire and cynisism from all out hatred or dislike for a country and its entire population!!

take a joke and dont take yourself so friggin serious! as some of my UK friends would say.........

and now back on topic: Garden sheds...... do you have one, would you like one, and who of you seriously contemplates building something Roman!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Think I'll build a cave maybe...and rear wolf cubs..... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Garden sheds...... do you have one, would you like one, and who of you seriously contemplates building something Roman
Yes, I do, and yes, I do--but not from the garden shed.

As for the snips you like use to disparage the USA, if I told you how that really rubs me the wrong way, I'd get in trouble with the moderators, no doubt. Just remember, though, that the freedom of speech you exercise so cavalierly was won with the price of a lot of WW2 soldiers' blood, many of them American. I'll drop this ball now, nuff said.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
And that is EXACTLY the reason i do WWII re-enactment and drive veterans around during comemmorations with willys etcetera, so even though i know it rubs the wrong way, i would say as a citizen of a country under heavy Nazi occupation, i do know my history!!... and the things i hear from some of the 82nd vets and other branches about present day US society and government are not that pretty!!

I support the troops, but not the war. Nuff said!!

so dont feel too insulted........ OK??????????

:lol:

However...

I do hate Punicians, Gauls, Germanic tribesmen, Parthians, and any and all people who do not adhere nor agree with Roman rule........ but thats just my silly self....

so Demetrius, what Roman thing would you like to build>?

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
..I've come to this a little late, but can endorse Peroni's remark...sheds, usually of the 'tin' (i.e. steel) variety are something of a male obsession here too! They serve the practical purpose of housing the lawn- mower and garden tools - but have grown to be so much more...as Deb says, they are the part of the house where the man is King (except in her case of course! ), his private space, where he can leave all sorts of projects part done, like the Harley you're restoring "one day".... ( I believe American males may have a place called 'the Den' that serves a similar function of male sanctum....)

...and for Paul M. (what the?...isn't that me? ), there are many, many cultural differences between us and the 'Poms'...we're good at Sport, for example! :lol:

And for David, just because someone takes a satirical poke at you, doesn't mean it's anti-American...here in Oz we make almost as many jokes about 'septics' ( rhyming slang, not insult : septic tank=yank= American) as we do about 'Poms'....but we love ya to death really ! The world loves to poke fun at an American standing on his dignity.....now if Henrjik was throwing cultural cliches in my direction, I'd be tossing a few back...you know, satirical remarks about windmills, clogs and tulips and dykes (lots of room for double entendres there! )...or dutchmen all being dopeheads on all the freely available drugs wandering around staring at all those girls in the windows.....the equivalent of the cliches about Americans and guns! See? Fight satire with satire!

And before I get a volley of pila from all my Dutch friends, I didn't meanit! :oops: :oops:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff