Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCALES the fast way
Hi,My name is Fabricius Abilis from Rome! Can You send me the dimensions of your jig and drilling jig,please?
Ave LVCIVS VVLPES,I am Fabricius Abilis from Rome,I will be to have the "dimensions of your jig and drill jig! Please help me!!!!!!

Fabricius
Fabricius,

PM send

Cheers

Luc
LVCIVS VVLPES
Luc De Vos
Latinitas

Quote:How did you have cut the steel to get a oval shape on the top?
with a hacksaw, a bench grinder and a file to finish

Cheers

Luc
LVCIVS VVLPES
Luc De Vos
And last saturday I got to see the result in the re-opened museum of Oudenburg, Belgium:
[Image: FectioInOudenburg26.jpg]

Great work Luc!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I don't wish to sound like a wet blanket but do please be carefull guys if you use a grind stone on brass objects for this can clog up a stone and make it explode, if you have to grind them down use an angle grinder with a flap wheel much safer.
Brian Stobbs
There is also the method of where one could use a rotorary flapwheel with an electric drill, the same thing applies to stainless steel which should not be put to a grindstone for this is an amalgam of metals and can also clog a stone. "Grindstones are dangerous things and to have a one explode is not nice"
Brian Stobbs
Fascinating. Is this a genuine way of replicating lorica squamata (did the Romans use it) or is it a modern technique (plates stapled together).
Quote:Fascinating. Is this a genuine way of replicating lorica squamata (did the Romans use it) or is it a modern technique (plates stapled together).

I would say it is a modern technique.
ALA I BATAVORUM
If you are referring to "staples" as the way of folding over each other the rear parts of the metal strip that goes in the two holes that hold each scale together. That is not a modern technique and a large amount of the example of scale have the "staple" method of attachment, including Carpow and others.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Newest Newstead (say that three times fast LOL) Matt Lukes 21 5,321 06-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar