Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British Airways javelin ban
Well, if you need to fly somewhere from the UK and want to pack your pilum, hasta, sarissa or other such long pointy item, I'd advise you to use any other airline than British Airways, or at least contact them first:

"Since British Airways (BA) announced a ban on surfboards on all flights (effective from 6th Nov), the surf community across the world has been reacting to the shock new position and taking decisive action to push for a reversal on the decision.

In hoards, surfers from across the globe, including the World Number One, Mick Fanning, have been signing up to a global petition created by the British Surfing Association (BSA) and international governing bodies, key surf brands and thousands of individuals have been issuing statements and joining a group on the social networking site, Facebook.

Until now BA has had a reputation for being one of the most surfer friendly airlines but last weekend their new ruling stated that surfboards, alongside other items such as hang gliders, windsurfing boards and sails, kayaks or canoes, pole vaults or javelins, will no longer be accepted as baggage on any flights on the extensive BA network.

At the same time, BA proudly announced that it would be loosening any restrictions on their carriage of skis, snowboards, cycles, diving equipment and even guns, amongst other items. At the recent Ski and Snowboard Show in London, BA was advertising its allegiance to snow sports and pushing its free carriage of snow related equipment on all flights. "

http://baisshite.blogspot.com/
http://www.globalsurfnews.com/news.asp?Id_news=31192

Just thought I'd let you know you should read the smallprint or contact BA first.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
are they referring to carry-on baggage, or underbelly/"Checked" luggage?

...I'm amazed surfers actually got up and did something :wink:
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:are they referring to carry-on baggage, or underbelly/"Checked" luggage?

...I'm amazed surfers actually got up and did something :wink:
I've no idea, but I can't see a surf board fitting in the overhead compartments (there are strict dimension limits) nor a handgun allowed in the cabin.

Facebook's being used for a number of 'protest' initiatives it seems. I believe there's a planned day of action over petrol prices soon by thousands of Facebook users (prices have soared recently to a point that would make you lot in the US faint at the very idea of - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7082847.stm where a gallon is 4.5 litres), and everyone will boycott petrol stations for a day to hurt the fuel companies where it counts most, in their pockets.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:(prices have soared recently to a point that would make you lot in the US faint at the very idea of - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7082847.stm where a gallon is 4.5 litres).

Well, that's reasonable. You call that 'soaring prices'? Over here, a litre costs on average (Shell) € 1.46, or just over a pound. But many charge higher prices! :evil:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I paid £1.09 the other day in Aberdeen
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yow. And I thought $3.20 USD per gallon was steep. Compared to a few years ago, it is, but it's normal now. One reason I use public transit Big Grin
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Back on topic, I guess the way around this farce of a ban of pointy objects, is to pack them with your skis? :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ave Jim,

don’t worry. All banned objects are pieces of sports equipment. You pilum in contrary is a weapon and therefore won’t match the list. :roll: :wink:

Of course you’ll wear your full kit when checking in at the BA counter. So convincing them will be easy:

When leaving England, just tell them the good news: Roman occupation time is over and the last troopers will take their trip back to Italy now. 8)

For the flight back, they will be happy to hear, that the changing of the guard at the Hadrian’s Wall still works well and fresh troops continuously will save Old England from any gruesome raid by Picts or Scots.
:lol:
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
As I see it, the ban has to do with the length of the items mentioned. Not so much anything else, but that it's a hassle lugging them around or fitting them into the plane's hold.

My stuff's always oversize - I have to take it to a separate part of the check-in area. Haven't flown BA so far anyway, but I'll keep this in mind for the future.

Of course I usually fly Qantas - if it's good enough for Rain Man it's good enough for me.
"It is safer and more advantageous to overcome the enemy by planning and generalship than by sheer force"
The Strategikon of Emperor Maurice

Steven Lowe
Australia
time for the detacheable pilum!!!!!!!

a pilum in two halves: screwable!! and well, authenthicity? (not our fault!)

or: re-enactment groups around the world should make a giant arsenal of spare pila and scuta for those members who want to travel internationally...

problem solved..

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I once watched the customs staff in a newly emergent Croatia insisting on X-Raying the squad weapons of a French Foreign Legion company :lol:

Always remember, the importance of any country is in inverse proportion to the size of the hats worn by its border police!!
Lochinvar/Ewan Carmichael
Quote:time for the detacheable pilum!!!!!!!

a pilum in two halves: screwable!! and well, authenthicity? (not our fault!)

or: re-enactment groups around the world should make a giant arsenal of spare pila and scuta for those members who want to travel internationally...

problem solved..

M.VIB.M.

That was why I went for the Paul Chen pilum in the first place.... :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I once watched the customs staff in a newly emergent Croatia insisting on X-Raying the squad weapons of a French Foreign Legion company :lol:

Always remember, the importance of any country is in inverse proportion to the size of the hats worn by its border police!!

I suppose they were looking for concealed weapons..... Tongue P P lol: :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If they're banning surf boards will they also try to stop one from taking one's Clipea on board as well?

Remember Batavian's surf into battle.
Vale

Maximio

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm">http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm

Pete Noons in a past life
Wha tabout skis and sno-boards?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel