Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmets..
Hello all,
I am not exactly new to the deeply interesting world of Rome, but my knowledge is somewhat lacking, and i would be most grateful for some help with a helmet timeline. I am in the process of setting up an auxiliary unit, and would like to be able to tell prospective members which helmets they are able to use, not to mention having a better knowledge myself of the general likely usage timespan each model of helmet. Anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks...
Adrian Hudson
Here's a useful link:
http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEqui ... elmet.html

You should also download the linked PDF in Mike Bishop's post here:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 750#121750
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Salve Tarbicus!
Corkin'! Thanks very much...
Adrian Hudson
See also an article by Tim Edwards on the use of Gallic type helmets by the auxilia here...
http://www.legiiavg.org.uk/index_files/Page3595.htm

If you would like to see the helmets referenced in Tims article in photos, please send me a PM.
I suggest taking it slow if you are starting your own unit and letting your knowledge catch up. There probably is not a need to go for a heavy infantry impression right away and you might regret it later if you jump in too soon. You could always start an auxilliary unit of a unarmoured clubmen, slingers, or javelin thrower type and then branch out from being a purely support unit. That way you can keep it simple and get the basics right while expanding your knowledge and having a unit that grows along with it with few regrets.
Derek D. Estabrook
A good book would be Connellys Greece and Rome at War, some good illustrations and typology charts to boot!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I met Adrian earlier this year when he was over in the UK from Sweden.

He and Martin Wallgren were putting together an auxiliary cohort. From recent emails from Adrian, that's still the plan.

COH III Batavorvm!!!! Big Grin
And who would Adrian be.... :? ?

Ohhh, you mean the guy who hasn't put his name in his signature Tongue P P lol:

Thought you had had an out of body experience for a moment Ade.... :roll: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
my sincere thanks to Derek for his excellent suggestions, and my apologies to Gauis Julius (and everybody else) for not putting my name on my signature Tongue this i will amend...when i have mastered this computer thingy...
What i am up against here in this wonderful land is the fact that the lines between LARP and Historical re-enactment are very blurred. The SCA and LARP in general are VERY popular here, out of all proportion to the size of the population. This is not meant unkindly, honestly. I come from a land where it is understood ( largely) that if one joins a re-enactment society, there are rules, and it is likely that that society has a singular goal, and that although there are certain freedoms of choice, there are also certain constraints. Things are somewhat different here. :lol: I must offer something cool to attract the right people. I must say, though, that i really liked the comment about not looking too 'heavy infantry'. On the other hand, i don't subscribe to the notion that only legionaries had iron helmets..or at least that all auxiliaries had cheap tatty helmets. Gods, this is tricky! hehe....
Well, as we say here, hold your thumbs for me ( the Swedish version of cross your fingers..)
Adrian Hudson
I didn't know you had Martin with you though either. I'm sure if he is with you that you'll do fine. Still, its best to start out simple even if you are capable of more. I'm working on a 7th century Saxon village and we plan to start out slow and build on it as we go. That way it is easier to involve others and check yourself so to speak as things progress.

We can have a similar problem in the U.S. where LARP and SCA is also very popular. Quite a few of people get into reenacting from watching "cool" movies / tv and it can be difficult getting people with the right goals into your group. Its important to have a clear set idea of what you want from your group. You can be flexible, but should try not to waiver too far from the intentions of your group. If you want to be like Comitatus and go for long marches and be a rain, sleet, or slow type group - be that way. Quality of members is often more important that quantity. Unless you're out to make loads of $$$ off memberships and donations without fulfilling the obligations of claims of being an educational organization, but I doubt thats why you're getting into this.
Derek D. Estabrook