Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upward Mobility?
As I understand it, the end of a career progression for a Roman soldier rising from the ranks, should he prove both capable and lucky, would be Praefectus Castrorum - after which he would retire from the army. I've also read that membership of the Equestrian order was a possibility for former camp prefects - (was this purely on the basis of wealth amassed, or was it a reward of service?). Would there be any possibility of continuing a career from this point, however? As an equestrian, would a former Praefectus Castrorum be eligible to serve as an equestrian tribune, commanding auxiliaries or legion vexillations (or would this be something of a backwards step, career-wise?)<br>
<br>
In the province of Egypt, where the administration was in the hands of equestrians anyway, might a former praefectus castrorum, or even a former senior centurion who'd made the wealth qualification for the equestrian order, be advanced to command of a legion? (i.e filling the role of the senatorial legate, which I believe was also called Praefectus in Egypt), or were legion commanders in this province always selected from a pool of likely (and well connected) candidates in Rome, just as with the senatorial legates elsewhere? <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
Adrian Goldsworthy in "The Complete Roman Army" mentions that former chief centurions were or at least could be admitted to the Equestrian Order. He has a whole section on the officers - senatorial, equestrian, centurions and below.<br>
A retired chief centurion with equestrian rank, could go home and serve as a chief magistrate in his hometown. Unfortunately, I cannot for the moment cite the source for this.<br>
Another career path for a chief centurion was to move up in rank to serve as a Tribune of the Praetorian Guard.<br>
See "Imperial Rome at War" by Martin Windrow, illustrated by Angus McBride (pages 14-15). The Praetorian Tribune is specifically described as previously serving as a centurion, and, in my humble opinion, as a primi ordines centurion (one of the 5 or 6 centurions of the first cohort). He makes the statement that Praetorian tribunes were former centurions, but whether that kind of statement would hold in all cases, I simply do not know.<br>
Roman society had good chances for upwardly mobility until the later empire when things became more rigidly stratified. Augustus was a big catalyst for broader opportunities, especially for the equestrian class. His reforms expanded career paths enormously, both civilian and military.<br>
I recommend reading Goldsworthy's "The Complete Roman Army". It is a good and recent study of the army.<br>
Hope this sheds some light on the subject.<br>
<br>
Quintius Clavus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Commoners could definitely be granted equestrian citizenship, and even senatorial citizenship after that. One good example is Pertinax, the son of a slave who later rose to equestrian status, then senatorial status before becoming emperor.<br>
<br>
In Augustus' reign it was possible to rise from the lowliest ranks to consul in about three generations -- by Pertinax' time one could do it in a lifetime. The third century itself is a perfect example of social mobility at work. <p></p><i></i>
[url=http://www.roman-empire.net/decline/pertinax.html" target="top]Pertinax[/url] <p></p><i></i>