Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamata Hooks..Part 1
Here is one side, cleaned up and "embossed"

[Image: IMAG0093.jpg]

I used a horseshoe nail for the spine of the serpent, and a regular 16# nail that I made into a punch for the other stuff. I am going to do the rest with files and also shape the whole hook to be more triangular, like the profile on the pattern copy.
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Based on Matt's picture, would a dished center "Boss" with a rivet through the center be acceptable for connecting the hooks?? I will try and work one up tomorrow night after work.
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Some of the ones I've seen don't have such a pronounced disk/washer for the rivet.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Really David? Which ones? I've only ever seen still-articulated hooks with a 'button'
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Matt,
All that I've seen have a rivet/swivel, just some don't have a large washer. All of those are the ones worn by various reenactors.

I have not seen an original (complete with washer-rivet assembly or without) at all here in Texas. Kinda rare. I've only seen the reproductions. Without handling them, it's hard to know for sure how freely the hooks moved, though. I simply made the assumption that they must be movable because if not, how would you put the doubler on?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Heres another pic:

[Image: IMAG0005.jpg]
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Looks as good as some of the replicas that are for sale for a bunch of loot! Good job, Wes. And yet another laud!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well done Wes Big Grin

Quote:Matt,
All that I've seen have a rivet/swivel, just some don't have a large washer. All of those are the ones worn by various reenactors.

I have not seen an original (complete with washer-rivet assembly or without) at all here in Texas. Kinda rare. I've only seen the reproductions. Without handling them, it's hard to know for sure how freely the hooks moved, though. I simply made the assumption that they must be movable because if not, how would you put the doubler on?

Yeah but photos and diagrams count brother :wink: I've never seen an original articulated pair of hooks in person either- but the few I know of from photos and diagrams all have a large 'button' in the center. A rivet passes through this connecting the hooks, so the 'button' is decorative, not functional.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hey, Matt, of course they count. What I was trying to say is that some of the reenactors I've seen don't put the large "washer" on the front, instead, it's a smaller one. A washer is necessary under the head of the rivet. On mine, there is a washer behind the maille, a large one, to keep the center of the hook from moving up and down, when the laps of the doubler move with my shoulders. Otherwise, there's nothing much to keep them down except gravity.

My hooks are Holger Ratsdorf's "dragon" head ones. I'm not as ambitious as Wes: I just bought a set.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
mine have washers too, but the one is a small washer....don't want to dig the other one out yet, will get covered in oil..and getting ready to leave again.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel