Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I´m in COH I GALL!
Yesterday I went to their meeting, and I was accepted:

REG: - Listen. If you really wanted to join the [Image: PeoplesfrontofJudea.jpg] Cohors Prima Gallica, you´d have to really [Image: hate.jpg]like the Romans.
IAGOBA: -I do!
REG: -Oh, yeah? How much?
IAGOBA: -A lot!
REG: -Right. You´re in.

Quote:And there was much rejoicing.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Congratulations! Now you belong to the second best re-enactment team in Hispania. (It's a joke...) :lol: :lol:
So you are the third ones? :twisted:

[Image: 00006196.jpg]

(Another joke... :roll: )
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Quote:Yesterday I went to their meeting, and I was accepted

Good! Well done. They need new recruits. Say hello to Aitor from us will you? :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That´s done.

But I think I have been too impulsive...the uniform, the helmets shining in the sun, the artillery around me... :roll:
I forget that the medical & retirement scheme is better with the early empire units Big Grin
Having the retirement with 41 years and land near Emerita Augusta was a better choice, perhaps.

Cesar, would you accept one late roman deserter in your group? :lol:
A too much early desertion! Well, you always have the posibility to ingres in the group of the picture you have posted. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Better keep late Roman! If u know what's better for you... :evil:
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Gentlemen
Please excuse my ignorance, but are the soldiers in the picture are actually the authentic reconstruction of a Roman unit?
Because they actually look more like something we would see on a hollywood big screen. To make matters worse, the first fellow in line has his helmet strap undone,....something that would never been allowed in a real Roman unit.
Please tell me what I am supposed to be seeing in the picture, so I will know better in the future not to ask silly questions.
Rustius Noricus/Robert
Quote:Gentlemen
Please excuse my ignorance, but are the soldiers in the picture are actually the authentic reconstruction of a Roman unit?

First, anyone with a decent backround in roman reenacting/history would surely recognize that picture was posted with a bit of tongue in cheek. Also the text under it stating (another joke) would probably give it away as well. Confusedhock:

Quote:Because they actually look more like something we would see on a hollywood big screen. To make matters worse, the first fellow in line has his helmet strap undone,....something that would never been allowed in a real Roman unit.

A "real" roman unit? I didn't know you had a time machine, or are you comparing them to your own group? :? The possibility of soldiers on the march with helmet straps undone is entirely feasible. Real or modern.

Legion: TBD
Do I hear an echo.... :lol: :lol:

Come on magnus, you saying those aren't the most authentic looking Roaman soldiers you've ever seen.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The dazzle of their armour would surely strike terror in the hearts of all who faced them........

I know i would be terrified of being overwhelmed by them....as I was rolling on the groung in uncontollable fits of laughter!! :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I´m happy to see that my throwable-molten-lead photos are so deadly :twisted:
I have to study him the confussion, shocks and panic they have created among the people, :twisted:
and create a bigger size one to conquer the world HAHAHA!!!:twisted:
Quote:Vogons: [repeated line] Resistance is useless!
Arrow Serious:

It´s a (very,very typical) Holly week procession in Spain (the street is full of flags), and those are the "roman soldiers" built from impressions of barroque art and "peplum" films. In the background you can see a Christ carring the cross. Its one of the traditional ideas of "romans" in Spain.
[size=200:14yhlmo8]Here come s the cavalry![/size]

[Image: romanos3oo.jpg]
[Image: caracol%20romanos%202007.JPG]
[Image: 2.jpg]

Maybe this may cause some bronze-shiny nightmares tonight...
It´s just folcklore. I´m used to see it, and most people too.

But out from here, that must be bery curious... :roll:
Quote: Please tell me what I am supposed to be seeing in the picture, so I will know better in the future not to ask silly questions.

Robert, remember there is no such thing as stupid questions. Please keep asking away in future.

Quote:
Iagoba:20154ho2 Wrote:Cesar, would you accept one late roman deserter in your group? :lol:
Better keep late Roman! If u know what's better for you... :evil:

Indeed - I agree with Faventianus!!

Quote: Maybe this may cause some bronze-shiny nightmares tonight...
It´s just folcklore. I´m used to see it, and most people too.

Maybe it's just folklore - but I would give anything to have access to such fine horses!
And we could dress up those 'clowns' in real gear to, no problem.
Here's my 'legion of dressed-up civilians':
[Image: houten2007_32.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well, I think that photo is taken in the South of Spain, where is still a custom to have horses and ride them (and also to have big processions in Holly Week) We must recruit some horsemen from Italica?Big Grin
The Betica has a long tradition in breeding fine horses for the people who can afford them...