Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remembrance Day, Nov. 11
Quote:I think that the wearing of the poppy did indeed start in Canada.
Shame on you, Ewan. :wink: Earl Haig (of "Earl Haig Poppy Fund") was born in Edinburgh and founded the charity in 1921 to support ex-servicemen.
The custom of wearing poppies is (afaik) universal in (former) Commonwealth countries (Australia, NZ, Canada, Malta, S Africa, etc.). I'm not surprised it has spread to the US, too.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
A late posting on my behalf. On each November 11th I remember several members of my family who fought in World War II. My maternal grandfather served in the 398th Armored Artillery Battalion, 8th Armored Division, including action at the Battle of the Bulge. Additionally I also remember my paternal grandfather, who was lucky enough to serve as a driver to staff officers in the Croatian army in lieu of being sent to the Russian Front or sent hunting Tito. Thankfully both lived through it. Different sides of the war, but both important to me.

One member of my family who didn't survive was my paternal grandfather's future brother-in-law, who served as an MG-42 gunner. He was executed as a prisoner following the end of the war.

I would like to ask that we all remember the soldiers of all nations. The flags may be different, but the were for the most part young men who would have much rather sat down and had a beer together than fight to the death.
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
Quote:
Lochinvar:31j151qm Wrote:I think that the wearing of the poppy did indeed start in Canada.
Shame on you, Ewan. :wink: Earl Haig (of "Earl Haig Poppy Fund") was born in Edinburgh and founded the charity in 1921 to support ex-servicemen.
The custom of wearing poppies is (afaik) universal in (former) Commonwealth countries (Australia, NZ, Canada, Malta, S Africa, etc.). I'm not surprised it has spread to the US, too.

DB, Mate, you've got to trust me on this 8) . I am pretty familiar with Haig's background and, yes, he did start the Haig Fund but the wearing of the poppy was very quickly adopted by the Brits who wanted a visible symbol. I think you'll find that the Canadians were technically first by about 'a short head' (by 'short head' I mean a matter of days or weeks only).
Tell you what, we'll invite our foin Oirish friend Shane along to the Byres Road for a beer or eight and then we can discuss the chronology :lol: .
Lochinvar/Ewan Carmichael
Quote:Tell you what, we'll invite our foin Oirish friend Shane along to the Byres Road for a beer or eight and then we can discuss the chronology :lol: .
A fine idea! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
DB, I've pm'd you.
Cheers.
Lochinvar/Ewan Carmichael
The minstrel boy

The minstrel boy to the war his gone, In the ranks of death you'll find him; His father's sword he has girded on, and his wild harp slung behind him.

"Land of song" said the warrior bard, "tho' all the world betrays thee, One sword at least thy rights shall guard, one faithfull harp shall praise thee

The wearing of the poppy was started in 1915 and the poppy grows on any type of soil.

(Shane, Mate, I've sent you some applause. Sure, we had the odd bit of bother near Cork at the time when poppies were being introduced, but we can get over it and enjoy the beer, the rugby and the song (and a few other vigorous indoor pursuits).

Thanks for that Smile and you know that 200,000 Irish mem were in WWI and its sad that it is barly know by the public at home
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua