Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remembrance Day, Nov. 11
Thanks to all the Veterans for laying down their lives in defence of our freedom. Today I went to a memorial at a WW I and WW II monument in uniform with the police, and it was nice to hear that the number of people showing up has increased over the years.

Regardless of your ideas of anyone's involvement in Afganistan or Iraq, or wherever, it's always good to appreciate the commitment, courage and sacrifice the troops make for us. Besides, it's not their decision where they go. 8)

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

LEST WE FORGET

Legion: TBD
Yes, unfortunately, they seem to be forgotten until too late sometimes...
we were talking about it being rememberance sunday this morning, and the 2 minutes silence an 11am, but it never seems to happen offshore...

Funny that poem is so often quoted, but rarely is it mentioned the author was a Canadian.... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I believe that only Canadians use poppies for Remembrance Day. I've worked in several tourist industry spots and the tourists always ask what the poppies were all about.

Don't forget, Matt, that we also honour our veterans with free parking( with a veteran plate).
Michael Griffin
High School Teacher who knows Latin & Greek
felicior quam sus in stercu
No, they still have them here in the UK Michael...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
i personaly Remember all of the men of the 14th (Irish division), the Munster and Dublin fulis, on the 11th
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
Quote:I believe that only Canadians use poppies for Remembrance Day.
I was under the impression that Poppy Day was (yet another) Scottish invention, dating back to 1921.
Of course, I am glad (and honoured) to share it with our Canadian colleagues, many of whom hail from the motherland. Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I was just watching the news and the had a picture of the queen all decked out with about ten poppies. I had never heard of it in Scotland. Thanks for the info.

Poppies are definitely not a part of American remembrance. I guess most of my tourists were from the USA....
Michael Griffin
High School Teacher who knows Latin & Greek
felicior quam sus in stercu
I'm actually not sure when the wearing of the poppy came about...though I would hazard a guess that it was likely started with one of the common wealth armies...

Legion: TBD
Quote:
Poppies are definitely not a part of American remembrance. I guess most of my tourists were from the USA....

I'm from Chicago and I can definitely tell you that they are not ... I had never heard of the tradtion before until I moved to Canada and my husband explained the significance of the poppy to me. As far as I know it is done only in Canada and the UK. On this day (and US's Memorial Day), I especially think of my late grandpa who served in WW2.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:Poppies are definitely not a part of American remembrance. I guess most of my tourists were from the USA....

Sorry mate but your are totally wrong. I have bought poppies since I can remember from the VFW since I was a wee lad. Took up the tradition from my father.

11-11-11-18
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
It comes from the area of France and Flanders where the worst trench warfare took place. The area was filled with poppies and poppies reminded the veterans of their fallen comrades.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
In this off topic section we had a "military poems- sayngs" thread
where a member posted the whole of
"...in Flanders fields where poppies grow along the crosses in a row..."

Kind regards
Yes, that was where it stems from...I am pretty surprised it is not well known, guess living in the UK for 33 years, I have become too blaise about it things like that, and assumed all the sides who participated remembered the fallen in that way.... :oops:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think that the wearing of the poppy did indeed start in Canada (as a result of McCrae's poem), but was quickly taken up by other Empire countries.
Shane, Mate, I've sent you some applause. Sure, we had the odd bit of bother near Cork at the time when poppies were being introduced, but we can get over it and enjoy the beer, the rugby and the song (and a few other vigorous indoor pursuits).
Lochinvar/Ewan Carmichael
And once again, I humbly salute all those of you who have served in the military and defended your country's interests in the name of patriotism and freedom. Thank you, for your courage, and your sacrifices.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.