Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belt under segmentata?
I've looked at lots of pics and can't find good closeups of what most of you use to hike up your tunics under the armor. I've thought of a sash or a thin strip of leather...but would like to know what some of you use?
Thanks for any help.
Renius/Greg German
Legio VI FFC
I make a tie belt from a strip of linen 3 to 4 inches wide, long enough to tie around you. Fold the edges in, then fold in half (so the long cut edges are inside), and hand-stitch the length. Stitch the ends up or fringe them. Done!

A strip of soft leather will work, just be aware that it may leave marks on your tunic when you sweat.

Most likely tie belts were originally woven to the size needed, not cut from larger pieces of cloth. It's possible that simple leather belts with buckles (but not plates) were also used, I just haven't seen any evidence along those lines. Usually you can't see anything at all since the tunic is bloused and the belt is completely hidden.

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
I use a sash made from the same cloth as my tunic, and just tie it in a knot.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I started with a thin leather belt but it dug in in places (quite uncomfortable). Now I just go with the fascia ventralis. try this thread;
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=10248
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

Most of us use card woven belts
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
I use a card woven belt, too, about 1 1/4" wide, nice and flat. But a simple soft cord will do the trick if it's what's available. From mosaics and sculpture, you rarely see the ends of the cord hanging down, so it's most likely just about the right length to go around with little left over.

I also have a couple of narrow leather belts, one with a toggle, one with a brass buckle. The buckle is the more comfortable, being flatter. Think really long lorica strap. When portraying a civilian, I usually use the leather belt, because it holds a belt pouch up more effectively than a cloth sash.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I use a narrow strip of wool, which I folded over and stitched along its length. Then I tie it with a square knot around my waist, wrapping the extra from the ends around it on both sides.

Quinton Johansen/Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quote:I use a narrow strip of wool, which I folded over and stitched along its length. Then I tie it with a square knot around my waist, wrapping the extra from the ends around it on both sides.

Quinton Johansen/Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae

My belt is made pretty much the same, only i used linen instead of wool.

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
My belt is made from a piece of 1 inch wool rope my wife made.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I used to use a linen belt like Matt describes, and now I use a card woven belt my girlfriend made.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I am not familiar with the "card woven" belt....is this like inkle weaving? Finger woven?

I do need a belt for under Seg....anyone wanna part with one?? Or a source?

Thanks!!
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Quote:I am not familiar with the "card woven" belt....is this like inkle weaving? Finger woven?

I do need a belt for under Seg....anyone wanna part with one?? Or a source?

Thanks!!

Hi Wes, card weaving is the same as tablet weaving. It is important to know that for the Roman period you should only use simple linear patterns, no fancy geometric patterns.

There are some threads about it here on RAT, for example this one:

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... et+weaving

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
What size waist do you wear, Wes? We might have something around here, or I might be able to get something done in that direction, who knows?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Im right around a 34-36 waist.....depending on how well I eat!!
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Ok, so noted. I think we can fix you up. I'll put it into the pot for tinning.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.