Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Menapian auxiliaries
Salvete,

Does anyone have any info on Menapian auxiliaries? Did they exist? Where were they stationed?

Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Salvete,

Does anyone have any info on Menapian auxiliaries? Did they exist? Where were they stationed?

Valete,

Are they cited in the ancient sources? I would imagine if they were , they existed.... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
A Cohors I Menapiorum is mentioned in:
CIL 16, 00069 = AE 1930, 00037 = AE 1931, 00079 and CIL 16, 00070 (p 215) = CIL 03, p 0872 (p 1195, 1976)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
A friend of mine wrote an MA thesis on recruitment in the Provincia Belgica, including the Menapians. Ill check his work for references.

maarten
Maarten Dolmans

Marcus Claudius Asclepiades

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.
CLASSIS AUGUSTA GERMANICA

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.paxromana.nl">www.paxromana.nl
Quote:A friend of mine wrote an MA thesis on recruitment in the Provincia Belgica, including the Menapians. Ill check his work for references.

maarten

Thanks Maarten, that's great!

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Talking about Menapians.. could the Buggenum Montefortino have been lost when CAESAR went to the Menapians during the Bello Gallico?

i have not yet read that they supplied cavalry during his time, but i might be wrong...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
It could, but I believe that general model is (supposed to be) a little later/younger. Isn't is the Mannheim type period?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I am not sure.... i have seen it in the Roermond museum, and doubt the general thesis a little... since in my view it could have been the main route Caesar's legion took....

sadly we'll never know 4 sure....

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Cohors I Menapiorum Navtarum are mentioned as being in Britannia.

CIL 16 00069 (diploma fragment dated to 122 "I MENAPIOR")
CIL 16 00070 (RIB 2401.6 ) (diploma fragment dated to 124 "I MENAP")
CIL 16 00082 (RIB 2401.8 ) (diploma fragment dated to 135 "[I ME]N NAVT
This could be a separate unit

There is also a leather fragment from Chesterholm inscribed with a stamped marking of "C I M" (RIB 2445.1)

This could also be from the other cohort beginning with 'M' stationed in Britain COH I 'Morinorum'