Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History and Science
Quote:Cheer up everyone, it could have been worse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_history
:wink:

Ah! Quantum Theory, the Fairyland of Physics.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quantum theory, the fairly land of physics?

Keep in mind a couple of humbling things.
1) You should know that the most precise agreement between theory and experiment was obtained using quantum theory. The "gyromagnetic ratio" of the electron as calculated by quantum theory is different than the measured value by less than 1 part in 1000000000000 (12 zeros) Confusedhock:

2) If that doesn't make you admire quantum physics then at least keep in mind that electronic devices and comptuter that allow you to read this message work because they were designed using quantum theory
:roll:

Fairly land? Maybe quantum mechanics is strange and when pushing it to extremes leads to incredibly strange interpretations :? roll: .
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
I think quantum physics is pretty fascinating stuff -- it's produced some really cool and wild ideas!

I think the problem with it is that for the average person it is really difficult to understand -- not just technically speaking, but many of of the theories themselves are pretty damn difficult to wrap your mind around. I think a lot of such cutting-edge science probably makes a lot more sense if you understand very advanced math and can look at the numbers, but when you try to put it into words and describe it in layman's terms, it gets a lot more confusing and seems to defy common logic.
-Christy Beall
Fairyland and Quantum Physics, they both have strange charm. Big Grin

I get the feeling that my, perhaps elliptical, sense of humour is not being picked up on in all cases. Sad
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Actually very little physics, if any, can really be understood without math. Galileo wrote that the language of nature is mathematics. He believed, and I humbly agree, that the best way, the only way, to describe and comprehend nature at its deepest level is by using mathematics. Quantum theory is stranger yet because there is the additional problem that people are still arguing over its interpretation (a mathematical problem too).

Math is hated by most people before they have a real chance to see what it is about. It is a shame. Extremely intelligent people turn away from it for stupid reasons. What a loss.
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Quote:I get the feeling that my, perhaps elliptical, sense of humour is not being picked up on in all cases. Sad
I got it. But then again I'm British.

Martin is alluding to the strange and fantastic nature of quantum physics, where what shouldn't happen happens.

I think. :?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I like it when people start talking like Spock or Data from Star Trek to make themselves sound smart lol. 8)

Just think of all the useful volunteer work you guys could have accomplished instead of splashing big words around like a heard of rednecks in the urinals after a NASCAR race.

Legion: TBD
Quote:
Urselius:3f03hv8n Wrote:I get the feeling that my, perhaps elliptical, sense of humour is not being picked up on in all cases. Sad
I got it. But then again I'm British.

Martin is alluding to the strange and fantastic nature of quantum physics, where what shouldn't happen happens.

I think. :?

Yup.

Strange and charm are quarks.

"Frodo you must bear the sacred quantum harmonic oscillator of King Photino and take it across the perilous Boson Mountains, mindful of the evil quarks who infest the slopes....."

It loses some by explanation Cry
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  not science fiction richsc 1 1,031 09-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Robbie Phillips