Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More artillery!
I know the topic of artillery has already been discused but i was thinking would it be possiable to make a seige tower except a smaller version and a catepult.
================================================================
John Jenkins

A little man with a big imagination
Hi John,

Making a seige tower, is certainly possible. But if you want one that is ready to use for re-enactment you have to buy a truck, too. Or do you mean a scale model. That's good to do. Go to a modelling hobby shop and buy some wood. I really think a 30 cm high model will do a great job.

A smaller version of a catapult is also possible. Did you know the one of the german legio xv primigenia.

[Image: Bonbonkata.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Yes, a few good siege towers would be nice......mind you, the amount of artillery required would cost a fortune.... 8) Then we could re-enact sieges too, say in Rome or other cities with walls still in situ. Now, then we need trucks to transport them, the men to assemble them, and enough men to man them for the assault. plus supporting artillery, and archers to defend the static artillery. And of course Calvary, ..... lots of Calvary....OK never mind then
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
And another links with some models.
[url:29bex1tn]http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~dfalk/courses/ejud/siege.htm[/url]
www.answers.com/topic/avaricum-westpoint-july-2006-jpg
ALA I BATAVORUM
I get what you mean but i am not talking about huge towers i am talking about like 12 ft towers just to penatrate a gate around your local house.
John Jenkins

Quote:And another links with some models.
www.answers.com/topic/avaricum-westpoint-july-2006-jpg
I love that West Point diorama.

It was, of course, the brain-child of Napoleon III's military adviser, General De Reffye, who was quite mad. His fellow countryman, Comte du Mesnil du Buisson (who "excavated" the Persian siege embankment at Dura Europos), poured scorn on the design, pointing out that it was nothing more than a giant funeral pyre!

He was quite right. Just look at all that timber, neatly stacked with air channels throughout, just waiting for one of the Gauls to drop a match! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:And another links with some models.
[url:2eb2l0ue]http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~dfalk/courses/ejud/siege.htm[/url]
Great link, Jurjen. The walls of Jerusalem are particularly good. But the Roman siege machines are a bit hit-and-miss! :roll:
And what on earth is THIS?!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
That project sure would require a lot of animal hides. Where do you think they'd get that many, all at one time to make the "tunnel" roofs?

They'd practically have to own the Tandy's warehouse!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I get what you mean but i am not talking about huge towers i am talking about like 12 ft towers just to penatrate a gate around your local house.

only kidding around Tibbs, it wouls be interesting to see what you come up with, and it sounds like a fun project! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
jvrjenivs:i1vd6wlp Wrote:And another links with some models.
[url:i1vd6wlp]http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~dfalk/courses/ejud/siege.htm[/url]
Great link, Jurjen. The walls of Jerusalem are particularly good. But the Roman siege machines are a bit hit-and-miss! :roll:
And what on earth is THIS?!

Don't know what that last picture is of. Seems like a sixties or seventies holywood repro to me, but I found the other images usefull for discussing miniature artillery. And of course that model of Jerusalem is very nice. Hope I could do such a big model in the future.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Has anyone every made a fort or town with a wall i always wanted to do that since i have a huge field in my backyard.
John Jenkins

Quote:Has anyone every made a fort or town with a wall i always wanted to do that since i have a huge field in my backyard.

Check the internet for instance:
-Themapark Archeon (The Netherlands)
-APX (Xanten, Germany)
-Castra Romana (US)
-Kalkriese pics

Otherwise I know that they are busy in Marle and Nijmegen to get a wall build.
ALA I BATAVORUM