Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Previously unknown Woeman Helmet found in North Sea
A unusual specimen discovered at sea, perhaps worn by a Roman admiral? It has a very unusual crest type....

Side View -
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... res002.jpg

Fron View -
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... res001.jpg
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hmmm...well preserved specimen from the North sea. Nice grey 'primer' patina.

This is a fine rare example of an optio's helmet from the XIII Legio Neptunus Coleus.
We still see evidence of the very large watchtowers they used for spying on the locals out at sea. Today these watchtowers are wrongly called 'oilrigs' by many uneducated plebs.

I think you have a good find here. I would suggest you put it on Ebay for $10,000,000. Smile
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Hmmmm, $10,000,000 fo a weel woeman helmet? Is that all? How will I manage to retire on that paltry sum..... :o (
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I am sure I have seen that style before.....

similar, but not quite:

Picture

nothing like an overly long link!

[But nothing that can't be shortened. JO]
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
I was thinking it might be a variation of a type of montefortino or coolus, certainly looks oddly familiar..... :wink:

This is what happens when your colleague's at work find out about your hobbies...... :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
A Monteforcoolus? Yeah, that's it! How much for the antique Woeman padlock to the left of the side view? That's bound to be original, wouldn't you say?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thoses woemens werz pretty fart smellers after all :roll: sorry smart fellers....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Kidding aside: this helmet was actually found on a North sea beach.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Right on Jasper....would it be from Germanicus unfortunate army, or is it the wrong area?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The cupric alloy version. http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/images/JSP/safehelmet2.jpg
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
:lol: :lol: The maker only understands iron....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel