Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about curved arms
Salve,

I have a question for artillery builders and experts! How can I make those vitruvian style curved arms on my upcoming scorpio(70% done) to give it more twist and power? I thought of a metal core for safety reasons, but it wouldn't look authentic so how do I make them out of wood?
Juuso Laasonen
Two choices

1) find wood grown that way, this will be your strongest choice

2) steam bent, quarter sawn section, grain horizontal
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
When I built my scorpio, I laminated the curved arms out of thin strips. They have held up extremely well. I made quite a massive frame to clamp them to while drying. I only laminated two strips at a time. I was concerned about the grain of the wood not running paralel to the strips, and weakening it. I used a wood called purple heart. It has a tight and quite wierd grain. I kept the form in case I break one of the arms and have to replace it.

Kevin
Purpleheart? But that's a New World species?
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

Finding two pieces of wood with the natural bend you are looking for would be best, but very difficult to do. I would say steaming. Dry heat might also work, and you need to make a form as part of the bending process.

But whatever you do, if you work down the limbs at all, do not violate the growth rings on the sides of the arms facing away from you (the back of the bow arms). If you do, your arms will most likely explode inward. You will be fine if you shape the arms on the belly side, facing toward you.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Thank you for your advice!

Another question if I can ask is what wood should I use for the arms?
Ash?(expensive for me) or some other, maybe Birch?(not so expensive and available easily for me) I have made my scorpio entirely out of birch, and I have planned not to make it as powerful as a ash version would be, what do you think of this solution?
Juuso Laasonen
I vote for ash.. ash has loads of strength lengthwise.. its a good tool handle for that reason.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

I agree, ash is the best wood for these machines (and historically correct), but cost are always an issue, eh? I'm fond of birch for arrows, but not for other purposes. However, if you have done the machine in that wood, well....good luck Smile

But, for safety's sake, consider a bit more expense for the arms. I'd hate to see those arms disintegrate on you. For traditional bows, birch is just terrible, and they explode quite regularly, with just 30 or 40 pounds of draw.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
We use Ewe aprox 1 3/4" square with a iron bar along its length, it can handle the 1 ton pull on the machine and are straight.
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... temid,137/
This one has similer thickness arms Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
You said "Ewe", but you meant "Yew", didn't you?
Not to make a pun, of course.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ash trees can be found across Finland. Maybe a source could be a landowner who needs one trimmed or will let you lop off a couple of select branches, or a tree trimming company or firewood supplier.

Either way, I agree: do not scrimp on such a vital element of your machine.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

OOPS Demetrivs I must have had sheep on my mind :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Thank you again for your expertise on the matter!

Only thing that is currently holding me back on getting the ash arms is the rarity of these fine trees here in Finland and the Finnish law, which protect them because they are so rare. Only source for me is currently the local wood shop(200 meters away from my home!) but it is very expensive to get such a small amount... the other option I thought about was making the arms from steel (very strong I suppose) and coat them in wood so it would look correct (ash is of course the best option if I can find it somewhere). What opinions do you have on this?

Picture of my birch frame:

[Image: 016934.jpg]
Juuso Laasonen
Quote:OOPS Demetrivs I must have had sheep on my mind :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin lol:

What are you doing with that ewe Brennivs, ohhh Confusedhock: eeeeeeew!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Soem thoughts:

Check out a furniture maker as a source.

Perhaps the experts at the lumber store could recommend an alternate wood species.

Maybe laminate alder with oak. Or birch and oak.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curved-Sided Scuta Matt Lukes 1 1,038 09-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Last Post: derek forrest