Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti-roman armor
It's indeed quite interesting that Roman troops especially in earlier Civil Wars were very eager to fight each other... To point that sometimes they tried to force the decision to fight upon their commanders...sometimes even succeeding.
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
Here's a question from the platform of knowing I'm no expert in these things. If the pilum was not able to penetrate a scutum, then why did they go through the motions of throwing them at each other in Roman v. Roman combat? It would seem a waste of time and effort, wouldn't it?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, they could still put out a few, and put the other side on the defensive, longenough to close the line? I suppose it was who ever threw first?
I seem to recall a line about the sides just closing without throwing, and being locked in hand to hand for a long bloody slug fest? not sure if tha tis correct tho' :? roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Once the lines closed I doubt it would be good to be hindered by a pilum when you needed to use your sword. I imagine throwing them would inflict some damage, regardless.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Once the lines closed I doubt it would be good to be hindered by a pilum when you needed to use your sword. I imagine throwing them would inflict some damage, regardless.

Yes, undoubtedly, although I was meaning in the second scenario that they dropped them first...before closing.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel