Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Women
Hi

Wasn't sure where on RAT to put this...

I'm not actually making anything now although I might in the future as a hobby project.

Been reading a little about what the women might have worn, more so in Britain. They talk about under tunics and over tunics but i wondered if anyone knew of a good resource for pictures? Either re-enactors or images actually from those times.

What materials would these have been made from? I assume wool, esp for here in the UK! Is it similar to medieval re-enactment clothing where most stuff is either linen or wool? Were any colours more common/less common than others?

Thanks!
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Ave,
Click the link below my signature- a veritable source of wisdom!

Vicus are 1st century AD, there are various guidlines regarding kit manufacture and articles documenting finds....You can also see some picks of our re-creations

Salve
Materfamillias

PS I like "Women in Roman Britian" by Lindsay Allason-Jones, just had a reprint but is not the easiest book to get hold of- try your library
Deborah Glennie
Member of the Vicus [url:jwqvknmp]http://www.vicus.org.uk/[/url]

[Image: S5000909.jpg]
Ebay has that book: HERE and HERE

There are also these: 1 and 2 .
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thank you both, will have a look.
Kat x

This includes clothing in Britain:

J. P. Wild, Clothing in the North-West Provinces of the Roman Empire, Bonner Jahrbücher 168, 1968, S. 166-240
Quote:Ave,
Click the link below my signature- a veritable source of wisdom!

Vicus are 1st century AD, there are various guidlines regarding kit manufacture and articles documenting finds....You can also see some picks of our re-creations

Salve
Materfamillias

PS I like "Women in Roman Britian" by Lindsay Allason-Jones, just had a reprint but is not the easiest book to get hold of- try your library

Smile Great website. I noticed though that the Female Clothing section does not have a link. Will that be updated anytime soon?
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Perhaps maximio will post some of his pictures of our group, I have some of my own, but not too good!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think its in the pipeline, there are quite a few picture of us on the site, and links to jewellery and the such like are live.

kind thoughts
Materfamillias
Deborah Glennie
Member of the Vicus [url:jwqvknmp]http://www.vicus.org.uk/[/url]

[Image: S5000909.jpg]
I have Women in Roman Britain now but have to wait until christmas to get it officially, doh Big Grin
Kat x

Quote:Perhaps maximio will post some of his pictures of our group, I have some of my own, but not too good!

I'd love to see any of pictures! I plan on making at least one basic set of womens clothing next year for reenactment and I need to research, so any pics would be most helpful. Smile

Kat, I have that book and I think you will really enjoy it! It's written in a first-person story narrative but you are learning a lot about daily life in roman britain at the same time. I chose my name here at RAT from the main character in the book. Smile
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:95e84wqb Wrote:Perhaps maximio will post some of his pictures of our group, I have some of my own, but not too good!

I'd love to see any of pictures! I plan on making at least one basic set of womens clothing next year for reenactment and I need to research, so any pics would be most helpful. Smile

Kat, I have that book and I think you will really enjoy it! It's written in a first-person story narrative but you are learning a lot about daily life in roman britain at the same time. I chose my name here at RAT from the main character in the book. Smile

Very, very slowly making my way through the book. Got to the first mention of Senovara last night and thought "Ooo I know her!" :lol:
Kat x