Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chalkaspis officer color choices?
hello some days ago i bought this figure from pegaso miniatures.
it is based on a plate from Greek artist mr. Giannopoylos and it represents a Chalkaspis officer in the battle of Pydna 168 bc.
i ask for your help to tell me what you think of this figure in historical reliability .although in the book that the plate is in, the writer says it is based on a wallpainting from some Macedonian grave.
Also what other color options do i have to paint this figure .thanks in advance
any help will be great
DIMITRIOS
The conservative view.
Based on 19th century engravings of sarkofagoi and grave stele elite macedonian infantry bore blue helmets.

Yes there are freskoes showing red helmets but the red or amaranth colors are asociated with horsemen although this can be very subjective.

Kind regards
Quote:The conservative view.
Based on 19th century engravings of sarkofagoi and grave stele elite macedonian infantry bore blue helmets.

Yes there are freskoes showing red helmets but the red or amaranth colors are asociated with horsemen although this can be very subjective.

Kind regards

What sources are you referring to that show blue helmets?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Alexander Sarkophagus shows blue helmets but this is for the infantry,too,possibly hypaspists. But blue can always be interpreted as "iron".Though,thr Sidon sarcophagus shows blue helmets with yellow(bronze?) edge.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:Alexander Sarkophagus shows blue helmets but this is for the infantry,too,possibly hypaspists. But blue can always be interpreted as "iron".Though,thr Sidon sarcophagus shows blue helmets with yellow(bronze?) edge.
Khaire
Giannis

You mentioned grave stelae as well. Have you seen any Macedonian examples that show blue helmets in use?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:Yes there are freskoes showing red helmets but the red or amaranth colors are asociated with horsemen although this can be very subjective.

Stefane,the fresco with the red-black helmet has also a hoplite or pelte shield between the two helmets and swords.Also the Sidon sarcophagus has a painted red helmet that most probably belonged to the unhelmeted foot soldier nearby.
Ruben,I don't remember blue helmets in a greve stone.Perhaps Stefanos could post a photo?
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:.although in the book that the plate is in, the writer says it is based on a wallpainting from some Macedonian grave.

...see macedonian tomb of 'Lyson and Kallikles'..... see e.g.

www.culture.gr/h/2/eh251.jsp?obj_id=879 - 7k and also
www.macedonian-heritage.gr/HellenicMace ... _D14i.html
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Stefane,the fresco with the red-black helmet has also a hoplite or pelte shield between the two helmets and swords.Also the Sidon sarcophagus has a painted red helmet that most probably belonged to the unhelmeted foot soldier nearby.

And on the Aghios Athanasios two infantrymen wear purple and red helmets, so it seems that painted helmets were quite common right from Alexander's day down into the second century BC.
Ruben

thanks for the replies people!!!also could the pteryges be another color (for example phisical leather color or did they painted them only white?also for chiton and mantle?only red ?other options ?officers only wore the mantle?
DIMITRIOS