Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short Commentary on The Water Thief by Ben Pastor
I have just finished this novel and found it to be quite good, especially for a first novel. It is set during the reigns of Diocletian and Maximian, not too long before they resigned their positions and passed them along to their chosen successors. The hero, Aelius Spartianus, a Pannonian officer, is sent by Diocletian to Egypt as a part of his writing a biography of Hadrian. He is to look into the strange death of Hadrian's favorite, a young man named Antinous, who drowned in the Nile and to whom Hadrian raised several temples and after whom Hadrian named a city in Egypt, Antinoopolis. While there, Aelius is put on the trail of a letter from Hadrian that had turned up and had, apparently led to at least two murders in Antinoopolis. The trail leads eventually to Rome and to Hadrian's villa at Tibur before Aelius tacks things down and discovers the reason for Antinous' death and for Hadrian's zeal in commemorating him.

The flavor of the story and the author's apparent knowledge of Late Roman military and civil society impressed me. She, and the author is a woman despite the name, has impressive knowledge of this not so well-known time in Roman history as well as apparent knowledge of the social history of Hadrian's time. I recommend the book.
Dear Hugh --

Thanks so much for your generous words about The Water Thief... I appreciate them greatly, especially as they come from a connoisseur of Roman militaria. Gratias tibi ago. I am now working on the third novel of the series, and became a member of Roman Army Talk to check on a few details concerning contus and spatha. However, I am totally lost regarding the use of the system: where do I go to learn the ropes? As you may imagine, the little icons with various legends (Quote, Code, List, List=...) threw me for a loop.
Would you mind letting me know where I may click to find the "how to" needed to enter forums, etc?
Thanks again,
Ben Pastor ("Spartianus")

PS I know how to read a personal message on RAT, if that helps... :-) )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Translation of Caesar\'s Commentary(s) Bryan 16 3,463 09-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Commentary on Herodotus I-IV Jona Lendering 0 981 08-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering
  Short Review of "Ancient Warfare. A very short introduc Praefectusclassis 0 848 01-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis